Why are 2 bands so expensive?

Hi Guys,

Further to my first ‘New Brush Advice' thread and a few weeks on. I have decided that the only way to find something that suits my tastes bet is a bit of buying and selling. I have purchased a Simpsons Commodore X2 3B and just received yesterday a New forest 2205 in 2 band. The NF Brush seems great, rights size handle, weight etc. My only first impression comments would be that it could have been slightly more stiffer and more of a fan shape than bulb…however this is getting more towards my ideal brush than any I've tried so far (The X2 loft I felt was only slightly to big by a couple of mm or so).

Anyway, back to the main point, My NF brush is great value at around the £40 mark, so why oh why can Simpsons justify a price range from over £100 to over £200 for their 2 band brushes??? It just seems a complete rip off! I did look at Shavemac too but they are also over £100.

Please post any justifications/comments ;)

P.S – Well done to Fido at NF for supplying a quality brush at an affordable price

Regards

Andrew

the name
overheads
the quality of the workmanship
rip off britain (insert country)
the custome service afterwards

any of the above

simpson knots are i believe hand knotted by the company that costs money and brushmakers like neep, and shavemac make more individual handles which cost

that said i have 4 brushes, two i believe to be tgn knots and two a bit pricier, i can notice the quality in the two pricier ones but my two tgn knots perform just as well

Thanks. maybe the only way to compare is try and get a simpsons, Shavemac or other make, even if used. The NF brush seems very well made though. At the moment though, I cannot see the justification for spending £100 to £200 more...the wife would kill me if she found out...lol [emoji12]

you dont have to spend that much

plenty of nice brushes come up for sale on the bst, all of my brushes are second hand

AKH8039 said:
I've heard synthetics don't dry very well? They won't be firm as a 2b would they? Too floppy?

hmmm...mine dries quicker than any badger
mine is firmer than a badger
mine is not floppy at all

mine is a mhule....do yasell a favour and get one

Might be worth trying as they don't seem mega expensive. I've heard Edwin Jagger do a good synthetic too. Thanks for the advice n1.

n1vlo said:
AKH8039 said:
I've heard synthetics don't dry very well? They won't be firm as a 2b would they? Too floppy?

hmmm...mine dries quicker than any badger
mine is firmer than a badger
mine is not floppy at all

mine is a mhule....do yasell a favour and get one

Exactly as above.

AKH8039 said:
Might be worth trying as they don't seem mega expensive. I've heard Edwin Jagger do a good synthetic too. Thanks for the advice n1.

It's a Muhle knot in the Edwin Jagger. I have one, outstanding brush.

Jds - my 2205 New Forest brush is silver tip 2 band I belive, hand made at £40. My point is, it shouldn't take any more work/special process for simpsons to 'hand make' their 2 band brushes, so I am just wondering how they can justify charging 3 or more times that? Just wondered[emoji57]

AKH8039 said:
Jds - my 2205 New Forest brush is silver tip 2 band I belive, hand made at £40. My point is, it shouldn't take any more work/special process for simpsons to 'hand make' their 2 band brushes, so I am just wondering how they can justify charging 3 or more times that? Just wondered[emoji57]

Same way BMW/Mercedes and other premium brands do.

Back
Top Bottom