Why do you switch blade types?

New to DE shaving and I've a bought a few types of blades to see which I prefer.

Reading through the forum I see that guys have a stock of different blades and switch between them.

Just wondering why would you have a stock of different types and why switch? If you've found a blade of preference why change?

Thanks
Anthony

For many of us, it's because we have multiple razors, and each of those may have a different optimum blade type. For example, I have 5 razors in my regular rotation, and only a couple of blades work well in more than one of those. Several of us will have a regular-use blade for a particular razor, and a "change of pace" blade that might be slightly more aggressive, which we'll use when we have more time to ensure our technique is right, or when we want a more aggressive shave. Having said that, no-one's saying you'll want to do that - it may be that you're happy with one blade type.

Some blades perform better in some razors than others.

Some people find a less sharp blade is better used in a very aggressive razor, whereas a milder razor will often like a sharper blade.

Personally I tend to use the same blade in all my razors as it's a blade that seems to suit me well, whatever razor I put it in.

I have a stock of Gillette 7 oclock Sharpedge yellow, as they were my preferred blade, then I discovered Feathers and bought a stock of them, then I discovered the Thai packaged Gillette Super Thin, which is my current preferred blade, so have a stock of them as well.

ive been trying quite a few different blades recently, just because im curious to try them and see how they shave. ive got maybe 3 or 4 favourites, but tbh i just like a bit of variety nowadays as the first 3 or 4 years of DE shaving i used only one type of blade, a merkur blade.

I just want to try as many as possible. I have tried over 100 types in three years on at least ten razors. If l settled on the first blade I was happy with I'd be getting irritation-free but not very close shaves (Trig blades, super cheap). There might be a little more than some enabling on this forum, too, seeing as I didn't start such extensive experimenting till I joined this forum. (All good addicts absolve themselves of their responsibility!)

NotTheStig said:
I just HAVE to try as many as possible (God help me).

There might be a little more than some enabling on this forum, too, seeing as I didn't start such extensive experimenting till I joined this forum. (All good enablers absolve themselves of their responsibility!)

Fixed both parts of that post for you. Yeah, I knew what you meant and I agree. You gotta watch out for them enabling bastards. This place seems to be infested with em. Try and avoid em like I do.

NotTheStig said:
Thanks for the advice, Dodgy. They're so difficult to spot, aren't they? Luckily you have my back!

Well NTS, to be honest, I think you've slid too far down that rabbit hole. I mean by your own count, you figure on having 34 years worth of blades in the arsenal. You recently let it slip that the figure was arrived on by you planning on shaving three times a day. Just as you do now, as it turns out. Oh boy.

Maybe if I coulda seen it coming earlier, I might have been able to....help.

in my limited time as a collecter ive found my self having a baseline blade (derby as it happens), one that i use for practicing and getting the feel of a razor. and then i find i have about three different blades that i use in different types of razor. once ive found out the best combination i tend to simply stick to that pairing.

3 shaves per blade. I know, not many but I like a close shave. Although I'd probably shave more than 7 times a week if I could. I'd like to know what you have at your disposal, Marvin. What types and how many blades do you have? I see Iridiums, vintage Wilkinson Swords, Schick Platinum Plus, Personna 74s and Feathers in your shave of the day; you must have a few of those, right? Looking forward to you spilling the beans and the accompanying photos.

Besides, i've traded some blades lately to get some handles for the WS/Schick FX cartridges I can get locally very cheap. So now i've got about 33 years left of DE shaving. Luckily i've also got some Contour- compatible cartridges recently or i'd be in trouble! Phew!

Tall_Paul said:
I definitely don't like trying lots of different stuff.

As I've said many times, your restraint is legendary. I just don't know how you do that! Just flip em like flapjacks when you need the cash.....no attachment to any of your razors at all. That's especially true of those garish old Aristocrat clunkers.

Amazing,

Marvin

It's a good question because it might seem counter productive to swap from something which you're happy with, but at the end of the day there are more than one good make of blade out there.

I hardly ever change, I stick with Gillette 7 o'clock yellow BUT, life would be boring if we stuck to the same everything, all the time, so now and again I put in something different and it's done purely to feel something different.

Granted I don't tally with shite blades any more, but I have some different boxes of quality blades that I already know suit my skin, and they're in the cabinet just for the sake of variety.

NotTheStig said:
3 shaves per blade. I know, not many but I like a close shave. Although I'd probably shave more than 7 times a week if I could.

Ok.....got it. Three shaves per blade, three shaves each day, one blade finished each day. Yeah, lots of guys go through a blade a day. I don't see any problem here.

NotTheStig said:
Still waiting for those photos of your stash, Yankophile

Blades are all over the place....maybe 4-5 different spots. Got a bunch in my rotation of various types I like and some I never use. Some new (maybe 200 total) but mostly old ones totaling maybe 300-400. Add another 150 or so injector blades and that's about it.

Oh yeah, I also have maybe five NOS 20 packs of Gillette Blue Blades from the early 1960s, and a few other vintages. This was an especially gruesome blade to use.

Maybe 700-800 blades in all. Heh, sounds like your travel set.

Too lazy to dig em all outta their hiding places and get em to pose. Maybe in the future if I get motivated. Sorry buddy.

Back
Top Bottom