why forums suck

An existential crisis here.

A forum is, by definition, a place where people express opinions, and others may then offer alternatives or reasons for disagreeing. Sometimes people may even agree.

Speaking personally, YMMV, and any other qualifiers, the simple solutions are to not join forums in the first place; if you do, to never look at them; and, if they "suck", to leave them. At any rate, those are my considered options when a forum mutates into the online equivalent of a pub punch-up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What is ?
If I post "I love blade X they give me a smooth shave and I can get 5 shaves from 1" then it clear I'm stating a personal opinion. Adding YMMV to end of it means nothing other than to point this out in big neon pink letters.

Does anyone feel the need to utter the same words in real life at the end of sentences just to clarify that they're giving their own personal opinion or experience?

If I post "I love blade X they give me a smooth shave and I can get 5 shaves from 1" then it clear I'm stating a personal opinion. Adding YMMV to end of it means nothing other than to point this out in big neon pink letters.

Does anyone feel the need to utter the same words in real life at the end of sentences just to clarify that they're giving their own personal opinion or experience?
Well you are correct to a point, if that point was a subjective one like I think this blade is the best or soap ect but when it's a non subjective matter all it is saying it may not be the same on your skin or hair type so therefore YMMV is valid, you could say I can drink 8 cans of beer if I have a bowl of cornflakes before i do it, that's not an opinion if you can do it , it's a statement but you could add YMMY because not everyone else may be able to do that, so yes you use it in real life situations.

Last edited:
I don't use YMMV because that is a given. It actually sounds kind of silly to me that people feel a need to point that out to me.
Yes to you maybe but to enquiring newbies asking questions about this and that it does have to be pointed out that just because I'm saying this is a mild razor it may not be for them ,Most seasoned shavers don't need to ask the questions that new shavers ask, and I'm not knocking them for doing that because we all had to start somewhere. We have to accommodate all users of the Fourm so they may not be pointing it out for your sake but for someone without as much knowledge under there belt.

Last edited:
An existential crisis here.

A forum is, by definition, a place where people express opinions, and others may then offer alternatives or reasons for disagreeing. Sometimes people may even agree.

Speaking personally, YMMV, and any other qualifiers, the simple solutions are to not join forums in the first place; if you do, to never look at them; and, if they "suck", to leave them. At any rate, those are my considered options when a forum mutates into the online equivalent of a pub punch-up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I thought that was exactly what I was doing, offering reasons for disagreeing in the hope that we both may in the end come to an aggreement.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom