Why is 1/2/3/4 printed on each corner of a DE blade?

Hello,
Im new to the whole DE shaving thing.
I have noticed on the corner of the 2 different blades I have tried so far (Gillette 7 0'clock and Derby Extra) that there is 1 printed on a corner and 2 printed on the oposite corner on one side of the blade and 3 and 4 on the other side of the blade.
Just wondering why this is :?:

I just use the 1/2 side for two days, and the 3/4 side for the next two. Otherwise when you use it you cant's see the numbers so have to hold it the same way all through the shave, and if you put it down you have to remember, or else pop the blade out to check :?

I read somewhere that it had something to do with blade production/manufacturing, but I think I lost interest after that :lol:

I'm pretty sure that it has NOTHING to do with keeping track of what side you use if you flip the blades. Who on earth flips the blades anyway? (I'll now brace myself for the torrent of abuse from those that do).

Ian

RedNeckRash said:
Hello,
Im new to the whole DE shaving thing.
I have noticed on the corner of the 2 different blades I have tried so far (Gillette 7 0'clock and Derby Extra) that there is 1 printed on a corner and 2 printed on the oposite corner on one side of the blade and 3 and 4 on the other side of the blade.
Just wondering why this is :?:

It just is. :D

I do one blade width of my face then turn the razor over and do the next blade width and so on so each side of the blade gets equal usage. Don't tell me I've been doing it wrong all this time????????????

James do you take the blade out after every shave?

Yes and no. - I do two shaves on the 'top' of the blade and then twist it to do two shaves on the 'underneath'. After each shave I drop the blade out so I can dry the razor safely, and then put the blade back in to store it.

I do a day where I pull the razor in the conventionally accepted method, then the next day, instead of pulling it, I push it. My face certainly reminds me all day that "today was a push day" so I remember to pull the next day.

Saves handling the blade more than necessary at least.

I find that if you correspond the odd and even numbered blade edges with odd and even dates in the month and the lunar cycle you can get a much smoother shave. The gravitational effect of the moon affects the Earth's core which leads to a realignment of steel molecules along the razor edge. Simple.

Back
Top Bottom