Why should claw a blade in a razor?

Hello, friends
I have two razors that seems claw, and that unless they were unable to manage some blades, this problem could be with finishing or any other issue, like not keeping the blade firm or steady.

One of them is a Slim that I've never use before buy and replate. Used just two times, it is a very unpleasant experience. Used with a Gillette Silver which is in its fourth uses and scratch my face in the number 3 position, while the blade is OK in another two razors.

Same occurs with a head that comes in a wood handle and that could be Merkur or Maggard or a copy and f some of them. Blade doesn't work here, but it's OK in another head.

If there is some one willing to share hypothesis with me, that would be great and a chance to learn about this.

Thanks

Some pictures.

d89fd7679d93e62b95ddcc6a790b4afd.jpg

c6c588f6ae9939a1a5945e00cc812aa7.jpg

02e04343446c4661249fc7e75f2106de.jpg

43c76283c2e1c7ebee52294e5a8d23cb.jpg

776489cde9922d5e7e75ee6ccab3d1b8.jpg

3ca2d3706cf9d167122ca3b9f5eba458.jpg

Enviado desde mi XT1032 mediante Tapatalk

I'm not sure what got lost in translation, but it seems that those razor blades are either nicking or scratching you during the shave.

A Slim on 3 should be about the same as a regular Gillette Super Speed razor. Fairly mild.

The other razor head is crap. I've had one of those before on a Scotch & Stowe razor. It had serious blade alignment issues, was a harsh shave, and the blade was not held in place very well at the edges. It was a noisy shave, with lots of audio feedback and blade chatter.

Greetings

The blade gap is uneven and out of parallel on my Pearl open comb razor, it does not cause me any nicks fortunately but it is caused quite simply by poor quality machining and quality control, it is a very cheaply made razor, I think you will find that most of these poor quality Jagger/Muhle style razor heads come out of the same factory in India, my Pearl razor is badged up and sold under several different makes. The problem seems to lay wholly in the top cap, I replaced mine with an Edwin Jagger top cap and it completely solved the problem.

Now in the case of your Slim I would suggest that is probably just bad luck as they have the reputation of being good and mainly problem free razors, the silo doors look as if they do not align with each other properly, someone with more knowledge of Gillette TTO razors might be able to advise you better with that razor. I only own one, a Fatboy and rarely use it.

Regards
Dick

I would need photos of the slim. looking at each end cap with the doors both opened and closed.
The slight non alignment as shown from above in the first photo on the slim is well meaningless. Normally its just a standard result of tolerances in the doors. I have razors like that and they shaved fine. and the person who has them now says they shave fine on all settings.

In my expierence my slim preferred rebranded store blades that most tell me are either Dorco St301 or the regular Dorco stainless steel blade. And platinum plus.

Hi, men, thanks for the advise. I think the Slim is too used and some drops along its life put issues on alignment and the tuning in before replating it wasn't enough.
About the head that comes with some razors (this came with an AP Donovan, a Deutsch wood razor) is really crap stuff, as PLANofMAN highlight.
Thanks for ideas, men.

Enviado desde mi XT1032 mediante Tapatalk

Its easy to think a slim or super adjustable has gone out of adjustment. very easy.

the ones I have/had I thought they had gone out of adjustment. what it turned out to be was using inferior soap, inferior blades, and incorrect lathering, and incorrect angle and blade gap adjustment.

in order to figure out your slim,,, please put a few photos of it up. I think its just an issue on your end.

The first few shaves I had with a slim were a literal bloodbath. Then I learned the right angle and things got better. and I got better soap,, things got better.
I would suggest a Gillette platinum plus and erasmic cream or stick made somewhat runny. And keep it on 2 or 3.

This was posted on another forum today by Carbide Mike. Might help with your problem.
Find a drinking straw.
1463820335380_zpsfwnxeyu8.jpg

1463820397930_zpsszrmhqrk.jpg

1463820465559_zpsagnpnkpt.jpg

While admittedly a novel idea, my only fear would be that the plastic would retain water against the posts after shaving which is a 'no no' for Zamak as it would cause faster 'rotting'. Of course, one could always cut new pieces for every shave, but that is just too much BS to tolerate IMO. I'd simply toss that POS and get a real razor.

Back
Top Bottom