Williams mug soap

There is a trick to get the newer Williams to work and that is you have to soak the puck for a good 10 mins. or so in hot water. I use my old Omega two piece tub and cover it while soaking as I shower to better trap the heat. Then, you have to build the lather heavily on the brush. This works far better IMO with a synthetic as they can get lather from a rock.

Williams never had any real scent. It was just a plain Jane soap for barbers & individuals that was first made in 1840. The old pucks are eagerly sought as they are legendary in their performance just like the old British production tallow soaps that today are long gone.

Just finished my review cycle on this (see the Reviews section), but not bad.

My experience suggested less water was better for producing the lather, but soaking worked too (I didn't do it for 10 minutes).

Rumour (in the form of a post on Reddit) has it that this may not be around for much longer.

every year now on badger and blade some asshole will pipe in a say that Williams is going to be discontinued and to stock up now. and guess what.

it never gets discontinued
the biggest most vocal assholes who bash Williams are typically the first to scream bloody murder that such a good soap is getting killed off.

After reading the comments, again we face with this sad and terrible truth that older versions of the shaving products such as Shaving soaps, Shaving creams and After Shaves were much better compared to their newer versions. We can see that but howcome the producers of these products don't see that or ignore it. Obviously they want to make loss not profit as well as customer dissatisfaction must be the key point.

After reading the comments, again we face with this sad and terrible truth that older versions of the shaving products such as Shaving soaps, Shaving creams and After Shaves were much better compared to their newer versions. We can see that but howcome the producers of these products don't see that or ignore it. Obviously they want to make loss not profit as well as customer dissatisfaction must be the key point.

The current maker of Williams is Combe and to be frank shave soap is probably 0.001% of their line if that. If you had a girlfriend that only gave you 0.001% of the love that you required how much time would you spend with her? :D ;)

http://www.combe.com/

70% of people say that you cant use the wool fat without unicorn tears and magical spells to get lather. But yet the other percentage says no unicorn tears are needed.
The same applies with Williams.

But no on says change the recipe on the woolfat into something every user can lather on the first attempt.

70% of people say that you cant use the wool fat without unicorn tears and magical spells to get lather. But yet the other percentage says no unicorn tears are needed.
The same applies with Williams.

But no on says change the recipe on the woolfat into something every user can lather on the first attempt.

The current maker of Williams is Combe and to be frank shave soap is probably 0.001% of their line if that. If you had a girlfriend that only gave you 0.001% of the love that you required how much time would you spend with her? :D ;)
I didn't know that they owned Brylcreem and Aqua Velva, They are doing a great job with those brands because Aqua Velva formula didn't change and it is stronger then the European version, similar thing goes with Brylcreem, American Brylcreem is stronger and holds hair better in my opinion when compared to the UK version.

I didn't know that they owned Brylcreem and Aqua Velva, They are doing a great job with those brands because Aqua Velva formula didn't change and it is stronger then the European version, similar thing goes with Brylcreem, American Brylcreem is stronger and holds hair better in my opinion when compared to the UK version.

Man, I haven't used Brylcreem since Hector was a pup!! Greasy sh#t it was!! :eek:

In the USA there are two manufs. that actually make Aqua Velva clones for a bit cheaper. One is made by Vi-Jon and is weaker IMO. The other is made by....."Blue Cor", or something to that effect as I cannot recall the name perfectly. Regardless, their version is spot on. I personally believe that this latter co. makes Barbasol aftershaves which are the best bang for the buck in the country!

On another note, Combe is supposed to be introducing in the USA the elusive 'green' Aqua Velva version they sell only in Canada and which everyone who smells it raves about it:

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/aqua-velva-cooling-after-shave/6000110751924

Last edited:
Man, I haven't used Brylcreem since Hector was a pup!! Greasy sh#t it was!! :eek:

In the USA there are two manufs. that actually make Aqua Velva clones for a bit cheaper. One is made by Vi-Jon and is weaker IMO. The other is made by....."Blue Cor", or something to that effect as I cannot recall the name perfectly. Regardless, their version is spot on.

On another note, Combe is supposed to be introducing in the USA the elusive 'green' Aqua Velva version they sell only in Canada and which everyone who smells it raves about it:
Yeah it's Greasy, but you got to be a bit of a 'Greaser' to like the Brylcreem and other Old school hair stuff like; Murray's pomade, Sweet Georgia Brown, Black & White, Royal Crown etc.. there are other modern stuff that would do similar job such as Water based pomades, Matt pastes or matt clays but you know it never feels like the original stuff.
Green Aqua Velva sounds very interesting and I will be looking forward to that and hope it can be shipped to UK at a reasonable price. However I wonder if it can be something very similar to Mennen Skinbracer?

Well we don't why they changed the formula.Sometimes i have to admit that sometimes reformulations are better.
Some say williams is not that bad so i'll have to use mine to see what happens.

Sezer, the other 'clone' maker is Blue Cross Labs in the USA.
Very nice and interesting that few other companies copy/clone the AV aftershave. It can be a bit of a waste to use Aqua Velva aftershave as a body splash in hot summer days but these cheaper alternatives would be ideal for that. I wish these were imported to Europe as well.

Back
Top Bottom