Williams shaving soap

William's Mug Soap has a reputation for being difficult to lather. It's proponents say that it is worth the effort, while every one else thinks of it as cheap junk. I am of the latter mind. I can buy William's for less than $1 a puck at a store located less than a mile away and I still don't buy the stuff. If you're looking for a good, low cost American soap then let me just say that all of the Van Der Hagen soaps are far superior and costs only pennies more.

Vintage William's is a whole different story, it's a fairly nice soap.

Got sent a puck (I'm assuming new not vintage judging by the barcode.)

As its small mug sized lathered it by hand, very easy to lather for me nice and creamy too

Seems good to me

Northam Saint said:
Al H said:
Is it any good lads

I was given some by my American friend. It was ok but nothing I'd rush out to buy. Your better off, if its a cheap American soap your after, going for Van Der Hagen. Now that is a pretty good soap in my opinion.

I like Van der Hagen / VDH de luxe better, too.

Al H said:
Is it any good lads

Never tried it, but the current stuff gets fair reviews. Nothing special kinda soap from what I've seen in print. There are some people who really like the old pucks from 20-30 years ago or longer.

The VDH is a best bang for the buck product. Widely available in the US stores and only a few bucks for a soap that performs better than usual.

About five years ago I had the pleasure of talking on the phone with John VDH himself. Very nice old geezer who even sent me out a bunch of things to sample. I would guess his son's running the deal now.

Martin

Al H said:
I test lathered the vdh glycerin soap today looks good will use tomorrow

a good soap you need to massively load the brush (should improve with time) as its new but produces a great slick lather and made a decent shave.

i like mug soaps, not to big so they run out quicker and in the countries that actually sell them a decent price and easily available

VDH Glycerin is a good soap for face lathering, nice and slick and it seems to lather easier when molded into a twist up shave stick container. VDH Select is a bit easier to load and smells nicer. VDH Deluxe takes a little more work, but it has shea butter in it and smells a lot like TOBS Rose.

Some folks like to melt the VDH and then grate the William's Mug Soap into it or place the William's puck in the center of the sea of VDH. It's usually referred to as Van Der William's and gives the best of both worlds--tallowy goodness with glycerin slickness.

Jabberwock said:
VDH Glycerin is a good soap for face lathering, nice and slick and it seems to lather easier when molded into a twist up shave stick container. VDH Select is a bit easier to load and smells nicer. VDH Deluxe takes a little more work, but it has shea butter in it and smells a lot like TOBS Rose.

Some folks like to melt the VDH and then grate the William's Mug Soap into it or place the William's puck in the center of the sea of VDH. It's usually referred to as Van Der William's and gives the best of both worlds--tallowy goodness with glycerin slickness.

VDH - good
Williams good
VDWilliams - very good

i only did what you suggested because of room but well worth the effort

Hi Al H.

I was considering similar. ie mixing glycerine and tallow soaps but wasn't sure they would be compatible. How did it work out for you, and how did you achieve it. Grating or melting?

I messed it up

I put the Williams in the microwave too long but the glycerin melted no problem

And mixed it quick with a spoon then placed in fridge.

It doesn't look the best but works, and smells good

Back
Top Bottom