win 8 pro

Boab

Administrator
Staff Member
LeJog 2022 Finisher
£24.99 for the download version

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/buy

I saw it at that price the other day and nearly bought it but as i am already running win 7 i just don't know if its worth switching to 8 as a lot of the reviews have said they don't see a big gap performance wise between 7 & 8 i might get it and do a dual boot to save removing win 7 and see how they compare..

It's quicker in the day to day stuff - boots more quickly due to the kernel being saved, better with multiscreen.
But you do have the Metro GUI running as well. When I was testing 8 at work I just disabled/avoided Metro and thought it was great.

Currently installing! Have installed an SSD too as it's supposed to be better optimised for that than W7.

I've got an image of my W7 install that I can go back to if it turns out to be Vista-ish but we'll see.

I am still on XP here :oops:

Should I upgrade? What would Windows 8 give me over XP in terms in functionality? I am not a luddite in terms of technology as I use a PC everyday at work and XP allows me to browse the internet, transfer multimedia and use office 2000.

Am I missing something?

I also run xp pro on pc but win7 on laptops. Wasn't interested in upgrading my pc as I didn't want hassle on reinstallong software. Now with win98 its suppose to be an upgrade so I may backup to another ssd,then I have roll back option. Will read up more before I commit.

Count of Undolpho said:
https://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com/en-GB/Registration

£14.99

I've tried this link out of curiosity after answering a few questions its wont proceed once i enter my product key for windows 7 which i purchased last year.Not eligible it says.To get this offer i think your pc needs to be recently bought with the windows 8 offer upgrade included.

Could I use win7 drivers with win8?

I have an Asus G71v which I'm actually in the process of reinstalling win7.

I've put an ssd in so thinking win8
Would be better.

I installed Win server 2012 a few weeks ago and have been surprised at how usable it is without a touch screen. I installed the win8 interface to get the metro experience, it also runs very well and boots super quick. It's installed on my mac via VMWare Fusion.

You can disable the metro desktop and go back to a traditional looking one if it doesn't suit.

Back
Top Bottom