win 8 pro

Boab said:
You can disable the metro desktop and go back to a traditional looking one if it doesn't suit.

I believe so though I haven't done it. My install logs into the desktop, and from the metro interface the desktop is a 'tile', click on it to get to the desktop. Though, there's no start button. There are lots of 'secret' navigation points which aren't signposted, such as the upper and lower right screen corners and pressing 'Alt', etc

Count of Undolpho said:
It's quicker in the day to day stuff - boots more quickly due to the kernel being saved, better with multiscreen.
But you do have the Metro GUI running as well. When I was testing 8 at work I just disabled/avoided Metro and thought it was great.

nah im not going to bother

if you want better speed ssd's are cheap

win8 is a port of the os for phones in look and feel so im going to wait till a proper desktop os is released

till desktops have touchscreen's win8 is prematue.

shanky887614 said:
win8 is a port of the os for phones in look and feel so im going to wait till a proper desktop os is released

That's you stopping on Windows 7 until at least Windows 9 comes out then :) As noted you can turn off the "interface formerly known as Metro" (trademark dispute - I think they now just refer to it as "Windows 8")

As for porting the look & feel from the WindowsPhone branch - that's cobblers - they *unified* the look & feel - like they did the other way around with Windows CE/Mobile (which didn't work at all well) - the underlying tech is still WindowsNT (with MS LAN Manager 2.0 for OS/2 (1.21 & 1.3) donating the networking layer as it has done since WindowsNT 3.1)

shanky887614 said:
nah im not going to bother

if you want better speed ssd's are cheap

till desktops have touchscreen's win8 is prematue.

Faster components do not always make a more efficient OS and SSD's aren't that cheap as yet. Hunnymonster I think answers the rest, though I'm not sure I would say the the underlying tech was NT I think the changes started in Vista (NT 6.0) have gone too far (though W8 is NT 6.2).

found a couple reg tweaks to disable metro so will give it another go once internet is back up and running.

i agree with you that faster components don't always make it more efficent and ssds are not worth it for most

the faster read/bootup time is what i like about them.

been waiting a while to get one though as they are still pricy

256gb for £120 is a lot when you can get 3tb+ of hdd space for that

but considering how much the price has come down its not too bad.

not a

I was given an Asus 1225B (4GB/500GB), which had the free win 8 upgrade offer.

I had to disable metro, because it's crap, and installed a start menu. But the laptop is a lot faster on boot and resume from sleep.

Overall I'm quite pleased, it aint OS X, but I can live with it ;)

No compatibility issues so far, and I gained a bit on battery life.
I only use for some network testing/troubleshooting, playing movies on the go, and connection to my home VPN.

For those interested, you can also get Windows Media Centre for free until 31/01/2013 ;)

M.

NotTheStig said:
I read somewhere something about it having a new bootloader which makes it difficult to install other operating systems. Puts me off. Trustedboot or secureboot?

you can always use a different bootloader or just install on a seperate hdd.

i know on my pc i can tap ESC after i press power button and it asks what to boot from

F8 is also a common one for boot options but usually it'll say somewhere on the screen on boot even if set to show a logo.
Secure boot only comes into play with a device with a UEFI BIOS so if you're putting it on older kit you'll be fine. On UEFI kit you have to hope that the manufacturer has given an option to turn it off and included certificates for other OSs.

The Secure Boot Controversy

A bit technical but at least not too sensationalist.

I installed both W8 and an SSD and to say I'm pleased is an understatement.

From cold boot to me using the internet is 25-30 seconds. Shutdown in 10 seconds, and applications are unbelievably snappy too.

I've got used to Metro too. The hiding away of shutdown is an annoyance but you can easily create your own shortcuts and pin them to Metro and the desktop to do that.

DJ-Steved said:
I've bit the bullet too and installed win8 so far I'm impressed seems pretty decent just got to get used to the metro now though....

you can disable it and bring back start menu with search as well

the one i used brings you straight to desktop after login then after that looks like win7 but will all 8 features including being able to easy get back into metro

Count of Undolpho said:
F8 is also a common one for boot options but usually it'll say somewhere on the screen on boot even if set to show a logo.
Secure boot only comes into play with a device with a UEFI BIOS so if you're putting it on older kit you'll be fine. On UEFI kit you have to hope that the manufacturer has given an option to turn it off and included certificates for other OSs.

The Secure Boot Controversy

A bit technical but at least not too sensationalist.

New Loader for Linux Distro's

should make it easier when implemented.

Back
Top Bottom