Winding a watch

pem

Never had a manual wind before and was wondering on the general rule regarding winding and avoiding over doing it.
I have just received a 1970's Roamer and its in great condition but don't know the first thing about mechanical watch movements.

Simon

You should be able to feel when it is reaching it's fully wound position. Resistance in the winding crown will increase.
Best way I could describe it is screwing a top on a bottle with just your finger and thumb. When it reaches the point where you are tempted to wrap your index finger around it to obtain a better grip you have reached the point to stop.

Hope this makes sense?

It will only wind so far and as Jaycey says the winding will become affected by greater tension until you will be unable to wind further without using unreasonable force. Trying to do so will feck it. Oh and wind it gently and slowly. Pictures please, if you will.

_57_zpsb01d22a6.jpg

Very nice indeed! Have you seen the watches thread with the link to English, hand-made leather watch straps\? Very reasonably priced should you choose to change the strap.

Thank you, I didn't take much persuading to buy it, bargain at £50, I haven't seen the thread but will search it out.

Gairdner said:
Very nice indeed! Have you seen the watches thread with the link to English, hand-made leather watch straps\? Very reasonably priced should you choose to change the strap.

it's this:

http://vintagewatchstraps.com/

:)

Back
Top Bottom