Wish I had never started

If I were you I would go for the Edwin Jagger DE89 and Astra blades. Take your time, learn a good technique and you will never look back.
Thanks David for your prompt response. I am unlearning. Could you please tell me why an Edwin Jagger DE 89 over Merkur future?

Hi guys I am new here. My point is this. I have been using cartridges for the last 25 years. Gillette Fusion for the last few years. A friend of mine conveyed the wisdom of using DE safety razors and blades. I went back 25 years. However I end up getting cuts below my chin. Can you tell me the wisdom of using DE blades please?

Technique. No pressure. Let the weight of the razor do the work. Like @David68 suggests, the DE89, Muhle R89 are mild razors. Experiment with different blades -- they're not all created equal, and your face will like some and reject others. It's a learning experience with this hobby.

Hi Vishnu,

There are a lot of great videos on YouTube that demonstrate how to shave without cutting yourself. I watched loads of those before I dared try my first DE shave. I was really careful, took my time, and it worked pretty well. I really enjoy the learning curve; each day I try to do a "perfect shave", which I define as being a fairly smooth face with no cuts and no stinging from the alum block. It's a skill and improves with practice provided that I try to learn, try different things when it doesn't work the first time, and think about what I am doing.

I expect if you are cutting yourself it will be to do with the angle you hold the razor, how hard you press, and the way you move the razor over your face. It might also be that if you have cuts that haven't healed, repeated shaving will aggravate the wounds. You will have to experiment by varying things, but unless you've got faulty gear, it's much more likely to be your technique than the razor.

Stick at it and you'll enjoy it. There's a lot of satisfaction to be gained from doing a simple task well.

Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom