Wood finish help

We have a new friend who need a protective coat.
Douglas fir carved from wet with a chain saw two days ago.
He will live in a semi sheltered location but the rain does drive in at times.

Advice please gents
Tony

IMG_1409.jpg

IMG_1410.jpg

Hi Tony,
A few liberal coatings of Danish oil should keep it safe or you could just let it weather naturally.
I assume it was wet wood when carved so you may find that it'll check/split as it dries, particularly the base.
In fact, looking at its position in pic 2, the base may check quite quickly as it appears to get a lot of direct sun.
Nice carving though.
regards, beejay

Thanks Beejay,
I will move it to a similar location that is north facing for a month to slow down the drying.
If the base does gets some shakes, and if the logs in my log shed are to be a guide line then it looks very probably then would I be correct in assuming some PVA and a clamp would be a satisfactory counter measure? I should glue and clamp as soon as the shake appears or should I let them develop?

I have lots of raw Linseed, Teak oil and Danish, you reckon Danish to be the best. I have no problem letting it weather but would like to prolong its life as mush as possible. I purchased it as a present for her good self so some tlc seems to be in order.

Tony

Teak oil or similar on a regular basis would be a good idea; Danish if you want it to develop a bit of a shine. For serious preservation, one of the systems from Dulux, Cuprinol or whoever ought to be a better bet, but they're all made of nasty poisonous stuff, so get some gloves and overalls, goggles as well.

I wouldn't worry too much about shakes, mostly because if it wants to crack, it probably will in the end no matter what you do. Douggie Fir is good stuff, durable and stable, so that shouldn't be as much of a problem as it would be with other softwoods, especially if you keep it out of direct sunlight.

It's a nice piece of work, definitely an adornment to your doorstep!

Bemused said:
Thanks Beejay,
I will move it to a similar location that is north facing for a month to slow down the drying.
If the base does gets some shakes, and if the logs in my log shed are to be a guide line then it looks very probably then would I be correct in assuming some PVA and a clamp would be a satisfactory counter measure? I should glue and clamp as soon as the shake appears or should I let them develop?

I have lots of raw Linseed, Teak oil and Danish, you reckon Danish to be the best. I have no problem letting it weather but would like to prolong its life as mush as possible. I purchased it as a present for her good self so some tlc seems to be in order.

Tony

Any of the oils you have will be ok but the raw linseed may take 3-4 days to dry so you'll need to buff it with a brush to remove dust etc once its dried.
As Arrowhead says, if its going to split it will but with pieces like this this is part of the ageing process and will add character to it.
Did you buy this at Woodfest by any chance?
regards, beejay

Back
Top Bottom