WOW Moment! And a Question

Thanks for all the great feedback and advice. I'm really looking forward to my next shave now that I know I really can get the results you guys have described.

YorkNeil said:
Two weeks now and just about ready to go back to a cartridge. Bought a nice badger brush, Jagger DE, Crabtree & Evelyn soap and a pack of Derby blades. It got to where I dreaded shaving as I had to be so careful to not get razor burn and just general stinginess. I worked really hard on prep - shower, hot towel - and on my lather.

Then today my wife bought me a pack of Boots own brand and a pack of Wilkinsons. What have I got to lose so I shaved half my face with a different blade. The Boots (made in Israel and I'm sure there is a well known blade from there) were leagues ahead of the Derby but they dragged a little. The Wilkies were a revelation and I've gotten close to my expectation so there's the WOW moment. Here's the question - Can those who have much more experience with different blades advise me on a blade that is better than the Wilkies but with similar properties? I found it to be very smooth, hardly catching and even got my top lip smooth. But there's jut that little bit in me that says this can be even better!

Thanks

Neil

If you want to PM me your address I'll pop a selection of my blades in the post for you to try out....As the other guys have already said..we all have differing opinions about blades, and how they perform for us personally....

Astra Sp
Feather
Gillette Yellows
Permasharp ...etc...... I can't remember the names of them all..these are the ones I use most frequently..

JohnnyO said:
An "ow" moment ................. And you haven't even started on Single Edge razors yet ! A whole world of SE torments await my friend.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:/

Fixed that right up for you Johnny. Yeah, I knew what you meant.....

Dodgy

I've calmed down just a little bit after my last post on just how macho we all are to be shaving with bits of steel and all that ;)

My take on all this is as follows: 1) There are no very good DE blades in current production. 2) The very good blades which you may still find are Gillette Swedes, UK made Wilkinsons and, being generous, Iridium Supers. 3) The best blades currently available are Gillette 7 o'clock yellows; the best cheap alternative are the Israeli Personnas. 4) The best option for a decent shave is now to purchase and learn to use a cut throat razor.

If you find a decent sized cache of the good 'un's, buy the lot. Just saying, but I've been playing this game for quite a while.

There is a blade swap pif going on in the BST section of the forum. Go and check out that thread. It's a sticky in the BST section. You will at some point reasonably soon receive a package with loads of different types of blades you can try.

I like the Wilkinson Sword Classic blades as well, but I always feel that they could do just that little bit more. But 3 passes (2 below the jawline) is usually fine. I did experience some drag with them, but I find that I need to hold the razor at a shallower angle to get things right.

The older English made WS blades were much better, but production of these stopped around 12 years ago.

The best ones I've come across are the Gillette 365 blades.

I find Derbys to be awful but I am very fond of the German Wilkinsons, the very sharp blades I find either rough or the irritate me if used several days on the trot. My preferred blade is probably the Gillette superthin but these days I usually use a straight razor.

Back
Top Bottom