Wrong SE razor/blade combo

Well, i thought i'de dive into the SE world of shaving, but seems i've made a bit of a mistake!

I bought from ebay i think an American made 1912, and some GEM blades from Connaught - but they dont go together!

What blade or razor should they go in!!??

Might be a good opportunity to buy some more stuff!

[/align]

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 64
Oh yes they do.

I insert the blade spine first until it hits the back of the razor mouth. Then lower the sharp edge down onto the comb. Then pull the blade forward until it meets with the comb lugs (at either side of the comb) and stops. Then just close the razor.

Doesn't this work for you?

Cheers guys. I was doing just that, but i think one of the blade stops at the front cutting edge of the razor was bent slightly, so didnt let the blade in completely.

Now.............. I think i fixed that (please see picture), but the shave i had with it was SO mild, it was barely worth it! Is that the case? I had a 4 pass shave, including 2 against the grain, and it was a pretty poor shave still.

I'm guessing its still not sitting quite right in the razor, or that it is a pathetically mild razor!

I've been DE/Shavette shaving for a while so wouldnt think its the technique.

Might i just have a dud razor?

Attachments

• blade1.JPG
    blade1.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 34
  • blade2.JPG
    blade2.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 26
It is very possible that the blade stop have been flattened. You can proggle them from underneath and push them up a little more ... that would bring the blade closer to the front and give a less mild shave.

While we're on that ...

These razors need a different angle of approach. Put the cap directly against your cheek and using the front edge as a pivot bring the back away from your face just a touch. If, when shaving it's all lines from the comb and stubble left, your angle is not right; clean face and few/occasional lines from the comb, you're about right.

Andy, that blade looks like it's sitting perfectly to me. Check the back of the razor head, when closed; is the spine lying flat down against the metal plate spring? I found there was a little play in where the back of the spine can sit.

Funny you should say that but today I used my Shovel Head SE for the first time and found I had just the opposite experience, really aggressive shave see my SOTD post.
My other SE (1912 like yours) gives a really smooth close shave.
Maybe it's your angle. I find that with an SE razor you can get a really small angle with the blade against the skin, almost like the blade is flat against the face. I believe this is why it feels so smooth and close. So I'd recommend more practice.
No idea why my shave was so rough today though.

Cheers gents, your advice really is appreciated!

I'll persevere with it and try the new angle. In my haste and dissapointment i was ready to sell the thing, but seems as i've got 2 packs of the blades, i'll keep with it!

Its a nice enough looking razor, and i like it in the collection, just neeed to get a good shave from it now!

Fancontroller - absolutely love that shaving bowl in your SOTD post!

Will update after this weekend and make a SOTD post with the experience!

AndyT said:
...Fancontroller - absolutely love that shaving bowl in your SOTD post!

It's a soap dish I acquired from eBay for a couple of quid because the original soap puck didn't have a container. The lather bowl I used today was a Steve Woodhead Pedestal bowl, I'd recommend his pottery any time.

Archive picture of the pedestal bowl showing its size.
SOTD20131013_zps439213c2.jpg

fancontroller said:
AndyT said:
...Fancontroller - absolutely love that shaving bowl in your SOTD post!

It's a soap dish I acquired from eBay for a couple of quid because the original soap puck didn't have a container. The lather bowl I used today was a Steve Woodhead Pedestal bowl, I'd recommend his pottery any time.

Archive picture of the pedestal bowl showing its size.
SOTD20131013_zps439213c2.jpg

I get a brilliant shave with a 1912, very close and smooth after one pass, no irritation from the blades either, really good blades. I used a 1912 streamline last night and didnt have as good a shave as with the standard 1912, i think as its a flatter head, i need to adjust my angle, definitely not the same angle of approach as with a standard 1912.

rolatruck said:
I get a brilliant shave with a 1912, very close and smooth after one pass, no irritation from the blades either, really good blades. I used a 1912 streamline last night and didnt have as good a shave as with the standard 1912, i think as its a flatter head, i need to adjust my angle, definitely not the same angle of approach as with a standard 1912.

That's a very good point. I assumed my Shovel Head would perform at the same angle as my 1912. Next time I use it I'll try adjusting the angle (after I've confirmed it's not a duff blade by trying the blade in another SE).
I like the Shovel Head because it doesn't have that "tag" sticking out the back of the head which gets in the way especially under the nose. I also think the blade loading is an improvement.

Following a very irritating, aggressive shave yesterday with my 1924 Shovel Head SE; today's shave was with the same blade but different razor to try and nail down the cause of the bad shave.
Today I used my 1912 SE with which I know I can get very smooth shaves. The result was again irritation and the alum feedback told me it'd been too rough. Again I can't blame the lather as NSS Signature soap performed wonderfully as expected.

So at this point it's either a duff blade or I'm losing my SE shaving mojo :(

Tomorrow I'll use a fresh blade with the Shovel Head and see if I can eliminate the razor from the equation.

Shave on (carefully)

fancontroller said:
Following a very irritating, aggressive shave yesterday with my 1924 Shovel Head SE; today's shave was with the same blade but different razor to try and nail down the cause of the bad shave.
Today I used my 1912 SE with which I know I can get very smooth shaves. The result was again irritation and the alum feedback told me it'd been too rough. Again I can't blame the lather as NSS Signature soap performed wonderfully as expected.

So at this point it's either a duff blade or I'm losing my SE shaving mojo :(

Tomorrow I'll use a fresh blade with the Shovel Head and see if I can eliminate the razor from the equation.

Shave on (carefully)

I used a used single edge blade in my valet, terrible shave, then i used a fresh blade and the difference was amazing. I think the se blades will give you at least 3 good shaves, perhaps try a new blade in the 1912 and give it another go?

Idea... I found that after + or - 100 yrs the angle on the heads of SE's may bent out of shape. Compare the head on the proper functioning razor to the ones that are giving you a problem. You may see a difference.

Back
Top Bottom