WS Stickie, is it overhyped ?

I was watching a Wilkinson Sword Stickie on the bay today and it ended at around £50, I had one of these many years ago and it was as mild as the Wilkinson Classic you can still find in the shops today, can anyone enlightened me what's the fuss is all about?

I found one in an old barbers near me and gave him £20 for it and a gold Gillette De Luxe.

The 'Sticky' is a nice enough looking razor but the handle was too long and it was ridiculously mild.

I wouldn't thank you for one now.

It won some award for its design, partly to do with the sticky-when-wet handle and the general aesthetic of it. I had one and I favour a mild razor but it was too mild for me. Maybe I had a duff one but I sold it on after a few weeks.
Never tried the Feather one

It's a beautiful razor a highly collectable design classic you only have to look at the razor along side another vintage razor just to see how different it looks, you can see the thoughtful design process that's gone into that razor I don't own one but I've always coveted one.

And also mild doesn't always mean bad, I own a Sticky, looks amazing, great attention to detail, I have a couple of other mild razors ( fat tech and #58 ) they all give really close shaves with next to no irritation. If you can get a Sticky at a decent price then go for it.

Ken Grange is (was) one of UK's only product/industrial design stars back in the day and was also responsible for the Kenwood chef, Intercity125 as well as numerous other products, typically he's better known abroad.

I was given a Sticky by Dipesh some time ago and I love it.

It's an incredibly mild razor and, when used with a sharp blade, is an absolute joy to use.

There are times when a very mild razor is needed and a Sticky fits the bill perfectly.

So is it overhyped?

In my view, it isn't overhyped at all - it's a design classic that does the job it sets out to do very well. :)

Back
Top Bottom