WTB iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4 at sensible cash

Well the title says it all really. My HTC Desire is a little long in the tooth and I no longer need a contract with any mobile operator. So would give preference to un-locked or something on the Vodafone (UK and Spanish sims in use) network others considered if the price reflected the unlocking. Must be decent condition as used I would not expect mint but not expect an minger either. Just thought I would give it a go on here before trawling evil bay. 16GB or bigger.

Big Bob said:
Well the title says it all really. My HTC Desire is a little long in the tooth and I no longer need a contract with any mobile operator. So would give preference to un-locked or something on the Vodafone (UK and Spanish sims in use) network others considered if the price reflected the unlocking. Must be decent condition as used I would not expect mint but not expect an minger either. Just thought I would give it a go on here before trawling evil bay. 16GB or bigger.
Just for info, if you're using a Vodafone UK locked phone, it won't work with spanish Vodafone, the locks are country & operator. So if you want to use it with a spanish sim (vodafone or other) you need an unlocked phone.

M.

Also beware of home button problems. They are the main point of failure on iPhones (or at least they were up to the 4th gen and the 1st gen iPad).

Can be particularly annoying when you need to double click (multitasking).

If you're jailbroken I recommend you use Zephyr or Activator to bypass the home button. I personally use Zephyr and works a charm once properly set up.

Governa said:
Also beware of home button problems. They are the main point of failure on iPhones (or at least they were up to the 4th gen and the 1st gen iPad).

Can be particularly annoying when you need to double click (multitasking).

If you're jailbroken I recommend you use Zephyr or Activator to bypass the home button. I personally use Zephyr and works a charm once properly set up.

^^ This.

My 3gs suffered from this, and you're right, double click was a royal pain in the arse!

I replaced the whole front screen, LCD and frame (smashed it :() and it solved the issue. It is an easy fix even doing the whole thing. (Well, I didn't need to replace the LCD until I damaged the original getting it out of the original frame, they are very very delicate, but if you follow the instructions PROPERLY, it's an easy fix).

What are the iPhone 4/4s like to replace the screen etc. on? I have a feeling it will be more difficult than the 3GS as I'd assume apple don't want you to do it yourself.

French Blade said,
Just for info, if you're using a Vodafone UK locked phone, it won't work with Spanish Vodafone, the locks are country & operator. So if you want to use it with a Spanish sim (Vodafone or other) you need an unlocked phone.

Useful info I did not know they were country locked as well. So much for a global network so it comes down to unlock or pay through the nose. The old Nokia 6310i (Wifes) and my HTC are both unlocked and work fine. I will look for an unlocked one or just get a newer HTC. The HTC has been a good phone but does have low internal storage and for some reason not all the downloaded apps give the option of putting themselves on the SD card.

Governa said:
SmallBeard said:
I didn't need to replace the LCD until I damaged the original getting it out of the original frame, they are very very delicate

Same here. Damaged the LCD from a 3G while trying to replace the frame. They're indeed very fragile.
I replaced a screen assembly on a iPhone 4 just 3 days ago, it's a bit tricky, but very doable. The 4 might actually be easier than the 3GS. (The LCD and the digitizer are fused together) what's great with these phones is since they've been in production for so long, parts are cheap and easily obtainable. The LCD and digitizer cost less than 20 quid.

M.

Re: RE: WTB iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4 at sensible cash

Big Bob said:
Useful info I did not know they were country locked as well. So much for a global network so it comes down to unlock or pay through the nose. The old Nokia 6310i (Wifes) and my HTC are both unlocked and work fine. I will look for an unlocked one or just get a newer HTC. The HTC has been a good phone but does have low internal storage and for some reason not all the downloaded apps give the option of putting themselves on the SD card.

Each network has an ID made up of MCC (Mobile country code) and MNC (Mobile network code) so for example Vodafone UK is 234-15 and Vodafone Spain is 214-01...

Actually the UK is slightly weird in that it has 2 MCC (234 and 235) (I think only India and the US share this weirdness but this is info from my unreliable mind)

hunnymonster said:
Actually the UK is slightly weird in that it has 2 MCC (234 and 235) (I think only India and the US share this weirdness but this is info from my unreliable mind)

Interesting. Maybe they're using one of them exclusively for MVNOs under their network?

Re: RE: WTB iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4 at sensible cash

Governa said:
hunnymonster said:

Interesting. Maybe they're using one of them exclusively for MVNOs under their network?

I think it's more down to the proliferation of those MVNOs (since most countries use a 2 digit MNC)

Back
Top Bottom