Yerba Mate

Anyone else tried it?

I got a bagful from the local coffee roasters who was quite disparaging about it (he offered to sell me a kilo for sod all).

You know what, I quite like it. I suppose it's an acquired taste, but I brew it in a normal teapot like normal tea, serve it with a splash of milk and it's very palatable.

Went to school in Argentina in the early '60's. Drank quite a bit of Mate. Enjoyable, but be careful if you drink too much- a laxative! [emoji33]
Told that it's also has a mild sedative effect. In other times it was drunk freely for the effect. I never noted it.

To make it drinkable you need a lot, a lot of sugar. In Argentina we drank it out of a gourd or a glass through a straw with a filtered end. One spoon mate, one spoon sugar, repeatedly, to all most the top and then added very hot water.

I tried it some time ago and agree with you, guys... Simply too strong for me and you need A LOT of sugar...

Anyway here in Spain you can find it in small bags form for like with tea and in that way is more drinkable and I buy a 20 bags box sometimes as is very cheap. I drink it sporadically to change my coffee & tea routine in fact

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom