Your best fragrances during 2012

rum

Well with a year gone and a new one already upon us, I thought it would be fun to ask you what you thought were your best scents in 2012.

Perhaps it's something you wore a lot during 2012, or something you discovered during that year. Let's post in this thread and hopefully gather a good collection of interesting discoveries.

Here are my fragrance highlights of 2012 (in order purchased):

- Millesime Imperial. Got a really fruity 2011 batch. Went through more than half of a 120ml bottle! Delicious in the summer this is a fantastic scent to use in the warmer/humid months. Took it on holiday with me as well in the Mediterranean. Worked a treat.

- Acqua di Parma Colonia Essenza. I originally sampled this when it came out in 2010 and although I liked it then I couldn't justify a bottle. After I struck a bargain, I've been wearing this a lot. It's gotten me a few nods and compliments, so it will be staying in the rotation. A nice play on vetiver, patchouli and rose with some nice modern citrus notes at the top (grapefruit, mandarin).

- Amouage Epic Man. Wow! Finally, an oud/frankincense and myrrh scent that I can get to like. I don't care for oud, but the other two ingredients I have been searching for all over the place. I finally settled on this. Truly Epic and very masculine.

- Chanel Égoïste. After various attempts at trying to sample this I managed to get my hands on a decent sample - and that wasn't from a store!! The store samples were trash but I eventually bought from one just before Christmas. The luscious rose(wood) and sandalwood really give a unique scent that you don't often notice. My only Chanel and by far one I'll keep!

I tried out a fair number of fragrances in 2012 through the sample packs available from most of the London houses. In the end, the two that I've settled on are DR Harris Marlborough, which I think is a great everyday fragrance (I own this as all of aftershave, shaving soap and cologne) and Czech and Speake's Frankincense and Myrrh, which I got for Christmas after nearly 12 months of hints! The latter seems to be quite a divisive fragrance, but I love it - particularly the way that it develops throughout the day and I'm enjoying using it at every opportunity.

Those are some great choices! I really like MI, AdP Colonia and Egoiste; at some point in future I'll upscale my (practically empty) decants to full bottles.

My favourite fragrances this year have been Diptyque Philosykos (the edp version) and Penhaligon's LP No. 9. If I were to include samples, there'd be a couple of Malle and Lutens frags that I've liked recently, but that's cheating a bit. Also, I really haven't had the coin to splurge on scent when there've been so many razors and brushes to fritter away my student loan/salary on instead!

My first Year dabbling in scents, 2 noticeable smells for me are..
Penhaligons- Juniper Sling
Lalique- Encre Noir

Worst scent I tried...Thierry Mugler-A*Men
Most dissapointing scent house...Czeck & Speake

Looking forward to trying scents from the Amuage & Guerlain scent houses this year.

the ones that have grabbed me this year have been a couple of oldies, floris no89 which i love and pour un homme de caron which i go for more than anything else i own at the moment. penhaligons endymion from the group buy i really like too, a beautiful scent.

I think I've most enjoyed DR Harris Pink this year, it's so light and unobtrusive, and simple, I've got though 2 thirds of a bottle, which isn't like me so that says a lot.
I also enjoyed discovering DR Harris Arlington, I'll buy more.

Taylor of Old Bond Street No.74 Lime - so very refreshing and uplifting. A real black dog chaser!
Taylor of Old Bond Street Mr Taylor's - rich, intoxicating but refined, masculine, warming and calming. My favourite.
Vintage US Shulton Old Spice Cologne - don't care what folk think about this old timer cos' I love it.

Would love to try at some point: D R Harris Pink, Taylor of Old Bond Street Mr Sidney's & Scent from Heaven's Old Spice smell-a-line AS which looks great from a skincare angle given the ingredients.

Last year I was wearing / continued to be impressed by ...

Histoires De Parfums 1740 Marquis De Sade
Chanel Cuir De Russie
Creed Orange Spice
Annick Goutal Sables
Le Labo Patchouli 24
Lalique Encre Noire

Burgundy said:
Those are some great choices! I really like MI, AdP Colonia and Egoiste; at some point in future I'll upscale my (practically empty) decants to full bottles.

My favourite fragrances this year have been Diptyque Philosykos (the edp version) and Penhaligon's LP No. 9. If I were to include samples, there'd be a couple of Malle and Lutens frags that I've liked recently, but that's cheating a bit. Also, I really haven't had the coin to splurge on scent when there've been so many razors and brushes to fritter away my student loan/salary on instead!

I'm glad you mentioned Diptyque Philosykos. I tried it ages ago and got a bottle of the EdT in the summer. I soon gave it away though as I couldn't get over the idea of "smelling like a fig", but it really did remind me of my native Greece/Cyprus in the summer. Such a great concept fragrance, very summery indeed and very authentic.

I am really overwhelmed by the response to this thread guys. Keep them coming!!!

I found a bottle of Umbro Elite X in the back of a cupboard, pretty sure I didn't like it at the time but hey several years later it's faded and doesn't do a half bad impression of Drakar Noir. It's the eighties and I am virile again, hooray leap....ouch, back gone again.

Creed Santal for me - really complex
And for everyday - Proraso; clean, fresh and barbery.

This year I feel it will be Tom Ford original - tried a bit in Fenwicks yesterday. Impressed.

Back
Top Bottom