Your favourite holiday ?

As the title says what's your favourite holiday, well i'm now aged 52 and from a very early age of around 6 or 7 I started traveling throughout Europe and north Africa with my Grandparents who brought up my Brother and I after my Father was killed in a mining accident in 1963, I always enjoyed traveling as a young boy, along with my action man vintage 1964 model of course mixing with different cultures, looking back and thinking how fortunate and grateful for those times, and how they obviously influenced my development and outlook greatly, but when I think of all the holidays there's one that springs to mind as one of the most enjoyable, It was a few years back with my Wife to be my future Mother and Father inlaw we booked a week in Wroxham in the Norfolk broads on a cruiser, well if you are looking to unwind relax chill out this holiday is a brilliant choice, I would say that if anyone is thinking of or debating this kind of boating holiday go for it, it's a great adventure and a very beautiful part of the UK.

Jamie.

Hi Jamie, my Mum and Dad have a narrowboat so I love nothing more than a get away on the boat, as you say it is a good chance to chill out and unwind.

It's funny, I've had a day's boating today. My sister and her husband hired a boat last week, I had an emergency call this morning to help them get the boat back to the hire base because my nephew managed to cut his head open and they had to take him to hospital. Luckily he was fine, so I was able to enjoy a thoroughly good days boating! We moored up at Brewood, and who should be cruising along......... Mum and Dad!

Skegness, Ingoldmells, Chapel St Leonards and Mablethorpe - one of those, every year and have done since I was born.

2p machines, sand in my egg sandwiches on the beach, 'entertainment' at the clubhouse, sticks of rock, crabbing, rock pools, ice cold wet sand near the water in the morning, fish and chips and many happy memories.

To a man, the people at work take the mick, calling me a 'chav'. Bless 'em. I'll still be quietly smiling when I've retired to the coast at 50 and they are working 'til they are 70 to pay the debts off that they've run up getting themselves accepted as middle class.

My favourite holidays have been:

New York, New York. So good we've been there twice! (Honestly!)
Lucca in Tuscany. Went there for our honeymoon and that part of Italy is stunning.

I usually go to Vancouver a couple of times a year, sometimes I rent a flat in the city and just mill about (beach, walking, cycling) and sometimes I rent a motorhome and go touring around BC for a couple of weeks.
Cubert's right that Whistler is super for skiing, I love it there.

For a quick UK break I also like Looe in Cornwall, Lyme Regis, and Sidmouth. Because of relatives I often go to the East coast of Scotland as well, and the fishing rod and walking boots get a good workout.

Anywhere in Spain which isn't a beach...

Barcelona is my normal trip away these days, back there in 19 days for La Merce 2011 which is an excellent festival. Loads going on, fire runs, tower building the people way, wine festival (woohoo), loads of music and loads of other stuff as well.

search for Correfoc on youtube - fire run is madness

Oh and Poros in Greece for a nice relaxing holiday sitting on a balcony or at a taverna.

I've been all over the place....Sermione on Lake Garda for instance is Magical........So is Venice...Paris ...Rome

But my First Love is Filey on the East coast of Yorkshire....I saw the sea for the first time there...so maybe thats it.....

Its Sad I know......But for all my travels...If I had to chose just one place to go on holiday.....Filey would be it.........There's not much there.....but its not been spoiled...So that'll do for me....We have at the very least a couple of weeks in our Tourer there every year, staying on a small cosy Farm site within earshot of the sea....Long walks with the dog on the cliff top paths and on the East coast beaches......Freshly Dressed crab with crisp salad....fish and chips....What more could you ask or.......

Now that is MAGIC.

GOLDCREST said:
I've been all over the place....Sermione on Lake Garda for instance is Magical........So is Venice...Paris ...Rome

But my First Love is Filey on the East coast of Yorkshire....I saw the sea for the first time there...so maybe thats it.....

Its Sad I know......But for all my travels...If I had to chose just one place to go on holiday.....Filey would be it.........There's not much there.....but its not been spoiled...So that'll do for me....We have at the very least a couple of weeks in our Tourer there every year, staying on a small cosy Farm site within earshot of the sea....Long walks with the dog on the cliff top paths and on the East coast beaches......Freshly Dressed crab with crisp salad....fish and chips....What more could you ask or.......

Now that is MAGIC.

We went to Filey this year as part of a caravan holiday nearby. I agree that it is a lovely place.

We've had some wonderful holidays in this country and abroad. I don't think I can pick a favourite but I do remember Bali as being a beautiful and friendly place. That was a great experience. I also visited New York a couple of times when I was young. What an exciting place. My dad and I spent some of our time just walking around Manhattan admiring the buildings, inside and out. And finally the Peaks are beautiful too and great for walking.

I have a serious soft spot for the many Scottish "caravan" holidays we went on when I was a kid but I guess childhood holidays and adult holidays are different.

Im torn between 2 holidays. Cyprus and Florence. Complete opposite ends of the spectrum which is why I can't choose between them. Cyprus was great for it's "lay back and do nothing" approach however Florence may be different if I revisit. I've already seen the majority of touristy places in Florence and a return trip may offer the opportunity to just kick back and relax.

However tha chances of me being able to afford either of these in the near future is slim. I suggested a week/long weekend away in a static caravan on the west coast to the missus and she looked at me like I'd shat in her handbag.... Oh Well.

andyjreid said:
I have a serious soft spot for the many Scottish "caravan" holidays we went on when I was a kid but I guess childhood holidays and adult holidays are different.

Im torn between 2 holidays. Cyprus and Florence. Complete opposite ends of the spectrum which is why I can't choose between them. Cyprus was great for it's "lay back and do nothing" approach however Florence may be different if I revisit. I've already seen the majority of touristy places in Florence and a return trip may offer the opportunity to just kick back and relax.

However tha chances of me being able to afford either of these in the near future is slim. I suggested a week/long weekend away in a static caravan on the west coast to the missus and she looked at me like I'd shat in her handbag.... Oh Well.

Don't think we'll ever go to Florence again....Very nearly got mugged by a couple of young Gyppo types with a blade ......We were down a street right at the side of the Domo...........They were after my camera......They didn't get it....Too many thieves preying on tourists' there for our liking.......Mind you Rome's not a lot better either.

GOLDCREST said:
andyjreid said:

Don't think we'll ever go to Florence again....Very nearly got mugged by a couple of young Gyppo types with a blade ......We were down a street right at the side of the Domo...........They were after my camera......They didn't get it....Too many thieves preying on tourists' there for our liking.......Mind you Rome's not a lot better either.

Yea loads of gyppo beggars there and loads of Tunisians trying to sell you genuine watches and handbags etc. That was one thing I found funny about Italy. It's illegal to purchase counterfeit goods but not illegal to sell them.

Back
Top Bottom