Your three favourite household gadgets

jaycey said:
Mikael said:
Espresso machine
The Grinder
My japanese kitchen knife, by Hiromoto:

I would love to have a decent set of knives but my Mrs would ruin them in a week.

Good quality stainless for me I'm afraid.

Well, I do have forbidden her to use it, along with a lot of other people :D. We have a decent Porsche design kitchen knife too, but it was close to ruined by my mother in law (read big nick in the edge, several mm wide ;) I have honed most of it away, but it would had been to much removal to take everything).

Cheers Jamie! It was there I bought it, 7-8 years ago, together with my first Japanese wet stone (hasn't seen much action though).

Well, it's a matter of semantics but I don't see many "gadgets" mentioned above. Surely a gadget is ephemeral, probably quite nifty but only borderline useful at best? Like those electronic picture frames for instance, and no we don't have one of them. Does a lava lamp count?

Anyway, three bits of kit which I really like:

Peugeot coffee / spice grinder / breadcrumb maker.
"Waiter's" style corkscrews - got a few of them.
Quad 606 Mk 2 flux dumping power amplifier. :icon_twisted:

I don't really 'do' gadgets. Lets try and get to three...

Xbox 360 with Kinect. Its the kids really but its a great bit of kit, streams films from the PC, Kinect is amazing technology.

Makita cordless tools. Get the job done. I love them.

Toasty machine. For quick and easy meals at the weekend. Toasties remind me of being 9, Just don't mix them, can be fatal.

If I think of any others I have then I may amend my list.

Oooh, just remembered I have a very early portable Sony minidisc player I blew my first pay packet on. It was and still is way cooler than any MP3 tosh.

If we're talking techie stuff:

IPad 2 (can't believe how much I use it)
Dell XPS 17 (bye bye desktop)
My audio kit (Nad C350, Marantz CD-52, Mordaunt Short MS 35i, Cambridge DacMagic and Revo Heritage)

If we're talking household stuff:

Beko dishwasher - I will never wash dishes by hand again
Slow cooker - unbelievably tasty and cheap meals
Dualit toaster - expensive but after all my not that cheap other ones went bang this has lasted me 10 years and counting and is still easily repairable

Arrowhead said:
balidey said:
Makita cordless tools. Get the job done. I love them.

Agreed, but emphatically not gadgets.

Yes balidey, think more like this guy:

KPVrGOAcMnziddjb4M1mene9o1_500.jpg

1. Logitech Harmony universal remote - wouldn't be without it. Has replaced every remote we own. Programmed to turn everything on, set things to the correct settings etc. all with the touch of one button.

2. Popcorn Hour C200 - a network media player, BluRay player, Torrent/Usenet downloader, iPlayer, internet radio, CD ripper.....and lots more.

http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/index.php?pluginoption=catalog&mainItemId=12

3. Squeezebox Boom - networked music player, internet radio.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-930-000063-Squeezebox-Boom/dp/B001EWDVXG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326402537&sr=8-1

An honorary mention to our Panasonic breadmaker too, although I'm not sure I'd class it as a gadget. At least 8 years old and still going strong, although it could really do with a new pan.

RE: Your three favourite household gadgets
Stick Bienders esp the <£5 ones or >£40 ones.
Netbook
Arcam amp - everything sounds better through it, and I've not adjusted the knobs for years!

jaycey said
"RE: Your three favourite household gadgets
Japanese kitchen Knives, espresso machines...Bas*ards are driving me into bankrupcy! "
Japanese kitchen kniveS, are meant for japanese kichens/cuisine. Some are designed to cut on both strokes or have edges meant for raw fish. In European hands the radius of the cutting edge can be awkward. Some individual Japanese knives (I have only one - and one Chinese) can be an expensive but delightful treat ie gadget. Try before you buy. Northam Saint and I have previously discussed people for whom cutlery is synonymous with jewelry. It is why kids can't use knives, in my opinion.
Love'n'joy
Lloyd

Computer linked to internet
Measuring tape
Electric kettle
and in answer to Arrowhead's comments about 'what is a gadget' - my grandmother used to have special plastic caps for the milk bottles that poured in a thin stream and closed.....definitely a gadget, and definitely useless. Sorry Nana.

Set of 3 Kin knifes Nakiri, Santoku, and Sashimi, unfortunately the carbon steel ones but still the best kitchen knifes I have ever used.

Gerber multitool, got me out of trouble loads of times.

vacuum bag sealer, no more loose bits in the freezer.

Weather channel - so it can tell me that it -14c outside but with the wind it'll feel like -21c. Makes me feel a lot better about winter!

Back
Top Bottom