Your worst DE shave.

Hello gents I don't want this to be a forum for dissent:YMMV as the murkans say. However what has been your worst DE razor/blade combo? For me it was Gilette Tech 4 with a Feather. I cut myself to bits and got really evil razor burn.

Cheap 3 piece razor I bought as my first de and a merkur blade. 3 passes and could have easily managed to give a pint of blood by the end. Needless to say the 3 piece got replaced quick smart with a 34c.

3.Gillette flare tip standard "medium"

1.Gillette New improved/new standard 2 piece

2.Gillette Old type Brownie thick cap

4.Gillette 1947-1949 NDC milord

6.Pal Adjustable injector

5.Gillette Slim

@Blademonkey. I have a deep scar from over ten years ago from a shavette.It went in heel end.I have sliced myself a few times with shavettes but only once with a straight.It was my first go with a Wedge razor.Only a little nip on the chin.
You live and learn, sold the dovo never used it after that first try, nicked myself with once or twice with a straight but nothing to write home about! :)

A cheap open comb head, which from one shave gave me more nicks and weepers than I would normally pick up in a 3 month period. Later investigations proved it to be completely misaligned

...For me it was Gilette Tech 4 with a Feather. I cut myself to bits and got really evil razor burn.

Huh? What's a "4"? o_O If you cut yourself with a Tech razor of any model then it's your technique and not the razor and/or blade as they are notoriously mild. However, with proper technique they can give stellar shaves.

I have twice managed to slice a chunk of skin off my face using an Edwin Jagger Kelvin, once on my chin and once on the side of my nose, don't ask. Both incidents were operator error I admit, but I have not used the razor since the last incident, I really liked using the razor up until then. I don't blame the razor as clearly so many other DE89 users manage to shave OK with them.

@Bogeyman it is the little 70s aluminium razor and it was a feather blade: gave a nightmare of ingrown hairs and burn. Mind you the Feathers were the same in my Edwin Jagger too. The razor is fine with a decent sharp Russian blade like an Astra. It is definitely the blade.

My worst shave was the first go with my Merkur 45. It was my second razor and about half the weight of my first one - I decided to play it safe and try a Derby. I may as well have used a wooden spoon and kind of gave up on the third pass.

Incidentally, I tried a Gillette yellow the next day and had the best shave I'd had up to that point.

That was the one and only time I will use a Derby.

Back
Top Bottom