Zaragoza

Just had a short trip to Zaragoza - actually got back last Monday morning, but I've only just got round to writing this.
For anyone not familiar with Zaragoza - and that included me - it a medium size city, about 700,000, in the Arragon region in the north east of Spain.
The city gets virtually no British tourists and nobody seems to speak English, but that said they are very friendly & welcoming and try hard to help.
The city centre is easily manageable on foot and consists of an old and a new area. The new area has all the usual fashion shops you see in Spain + El Cortes Ingles department store, but it is the old quarter the we found fascinating. It is a labyrinth of small streets and alleys, mostly pedestrian and has an array of small shops selling all manner of things plus lots of bars and restaurants.
I found 2 shops that sold shaving brushes. They were'nt particularly cheap especially the badger, but I picked up a nice horse hair for 10€.
One of the shops had DE & SE razors, but I thought I was pushing my luck with hand luggage.
On that subject, I found I'd shot myself in the foot as virtually all the real bargains were over 100ml. Even the La Toja cream was on 'Special' with an extra 25ml free. I did manage to get some Lea cream and Lea and La Toja sticks. Also, bought some nice bath soaps, Agua di Lavandra, Heno di Pravia, and the Classic black soap Magno.
Eating out was brilliant. Most restaurants do a set menu for about €10 at lunchtime which gives you a starter, main course and dessert, plus bread, water and 1/4 bottle of wine. Amazing value although we did struggle to understand the menus.
In the evening, of course you have tapas and Zaragoza seems to have some very creative chefs.
All in all we had a great time in this friendly city.

Skin Glider said:
First went nearly 30 years ago. Its a amazing city as you say. For the finest place in Spain is Granada .
That is a long time ago. It must have been very different then. Considering it's not exactly overrun with tourists even now, back then you must have been the only Brits there.
I am always tempted by Granada, but as we tend to go to Southern Spain in summer I'm always a bit concerned that it will be totally mobbed and I'm not into queuing and crowds.
A friend of mine went there at Christmas and absolutely loved it.

We visited Nerja 3 years ago and weren't too impressed, but I have seen worse - a lot worse. We were staying about 15k inland from Torre del Mar and that was fantastic.
I know what you are saying about new places, I first visited Greece in about 1978 and that was great, you felt almost like pioneers.
I will have to see Granada, but as I said before I'd always imagined the sites, especially the Alhambra, would be very busy in the summer and unfortunately, like a lot of people we are restricted to the school holidays.

Back
Top Bottom