Zero etiquette; get me out of here

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is by far the politest forum I have ever been on. Sometimes you get a bit of a "perfect storm" of opinions, mis-reading of irony, got out of bed on the wrong side etc etc. But again, people generally cough up the apologies quickly enough.

I can supply the OP with some more confrontational sites if he wishes to make comparisons... I used to be in a banjo forum once that was a real cracker...

Re: RE: Zero etiquette; get me out of here

WiffWaff said:
I can supply the OP with some more confrontational sites if he wishes to make comparisons... I used to be in a banjo forum once that was a real cracker...
They're highly strung

Thought I provided some good insights. Can't be me they're talking about....

Find that it's best to always think this way! (honi soit qui mal y pense).

Written banter can often come across badly in written form. Emoticons can soften things but not the same as face-to-face.

WiffWaff said:
This is by far the politest forum I have ever been on. Sometimes you get a bit of a "perfect storm" of opinions, mis-reading of irony, got out of bed on the wrong side etc etc. But again, people generally cough up the apologies quickly enough.

Duelling banjos?

I would like to say that in my experience of forums (through other pastimes - yes there are some!) I find the members in here to be extremely polite, friendly, supportive, helpful, and the humour is wicked!
Nik

I think a few members who have joined in the time since I first stumbled across this place are a bit more confrontational than the average for TSR, and, in a rare moment of self-awareness, I'm happy to admit that I've had my moments. It takes quite a bit to get me going, but there are non-shaving subjects which touch a sore spot and I've tried hard to stop myself from typing things I'll later regret. Sadly, I haven't always succeeded. In general, things are very civil on here, much more so than many other fora; having said that, as I mentioned, I think there has been an increase in problems recently with a few forceful and aggressive members and some others who have trouble with interpreting the dry humour which was so much the style here when I first joined.

Johnus said:
Thought I provided some good insights. Can't be me they're talking about....

Dear fellow Doodler,

John, of course it's you! Well more to the point, the problem is where you're located and not you personally. Although......you do make the craziest razor recommendations and you like all things Derby. Heh, you goofy, but well meaning old coot.

These Limeys (and other foreign types) pretty much think we Yankees are dumb and they don't care who knows it. Most of em probably talk with that real fancy English Butler sorta accent.....you know the one. Real smarmy.

I have tried, but will never get used to the constant xenophobic hazing.

Martin

Heh, only members they treat with even less respect than Yankers are the ones from Svenskaland (one member in particular).

Helveticum said:
Yeah, apparently all the good stuff has been edited out by now.

There was LOTS of stuff about you! Things got pretty heated there for a while.

I read up on the Mandy one and realised there was some random bickering going on. It did seem a little childish and bringing physical threats into it reminds me of my early teens in AOL chat rooms. The material of somebody with very little Internet sense and perhaps ego issues.

I was definitely surprised to see it on this forum but on the other hand I also think that it is just as off the mark to feel the need to post a thread accusing everybody here of having zero etiquette . If you feel that put out by the thread then just don't post anymore. Nobody is forcing you to log in. Rather than trying to put a downer on what is at all other times a decent forum full of good advice and honest opinions, just continue as you said you were doing before: "I don't post often as I feel I don't have much to contribute by and large".

This isn't my quote and I apologise in advance if it seems ignorant and out of line, or if anybody feels offended, but this sums things up pretty well: "arguing on the Internet is like running in the special Olympics... even if you win, you're still retarded"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom