A pare of pants or trousers!

This has been bugging me for some time and I thought you gentleman may be able to work this out for me.

You pick up a pair of socks, I get that, there's two of them but then you slip into a pair of pants before you pick up a pair of trousers and put them on! However this is were the madness ends because you don't pull on a pair of shirt and then go on to put your pair of jacket on.
So what's with, a pair of pants or a pair of trousers?
Or is it only me who has ended up saying these things!
Yes, I know it's 2am but when you can't get the thought out of your head I've always found it best to get it written down to be looked at in the morning or post it on TSR!

I look forward to seeing your thoughts on this matter.

Thank you.

Paul.
Yes. I grew up using the same wording; pair of pants/shorts/jeans/slacks (even a pair of undies). I still hear the term now but I have also noted that when we get to a certain age, "pair of" seems to have changed to just "some" jeans, pants, shirt etc

Yes. I grew up using the same wording; pair of pants/shorts/jeans/slacks (even a pair of undies). I still hear the term now but I have also noted that when we get to a certain age, "pair of" seems to have changed to just "some" jeans, pants, shirt etc
Well at the age of 57 I think I will now be changing to "some" pants / trousers, it's been niggling me for years on and off and never sounded right but with the help from all of you gentleman on here I will only now be reaching out for a pair of socks, shoes etc :)
Thank you all for your input.

Paul.

The golden rule when undressing in front of someone for the first time is remove socks before removing trousers. I think it goes without saying that all other items should have already been discarded.

Back
Top Bottom