A Review of the Supply SE for People New to Safety Razors

Got it at last on 8th June and had three shaves so far. Inserting the blade was easy but OMG that first shave was terrible. Scratchy! But my second and third shaves were excellent. Either I got the technique wrong in the first shave or the coating on the blade rubbed off during the first shave. But anyway so far an excellent razor and a smooth, close shave with no nicks. I think perhaps my first one was a dud but this second time I didn't fiddge with the thumb screw before loading the blade.

I got a black razor, black stand and 16 extra black label blades in two packs (plus one pack with the razor making 24 blades in total) and a free travel case. In addition I have 4 packs of Schick yellow pack blades on offer from Amazon UK and still to add is Taconic injector blades. Then I can do a comparison.

My advice at this early stage is to keep the plastic blade which is pushed out when the first real blade is loaded. It will be useful after the razor is taken apart for cleaning and a new blade pack is started.

Supply_Schick.jpg
Confirming that Schick Injector blades in the yellow pack fit the Supply SE. But like the Schick B-20 they have to be manually inserted by taking the razor apart. The key on the Schick pack fits the slot in the Supply SE with some struggle but the blade is misaligned and doesn't push out the old blade nor insert a new blade. The Schick blade is also missing the middle slot that the Supply blade has. What this also shows is that where the injector function is concerned blades for the Supply SE are propriety: If you want to use the injector function you must buy Supply blades. In wet shaving these days that is pretty much frowned upon.

But on the other hand the Supply SE does provide a good smooth shave without nicks. I bought the razor and stand and 2 extra blade packs making 24 blades in all when added to the 8 blades which came with the razor. I just doubt that I will buy Supply blades at £9.99 for 8 (UK Amazon Prime). Probably another one for ebay.

Lastly, why would anyone want to go to the trouble of taking apart the Supply SE to insert a blade when a single blade razor using half snapped or pre-cut DE blades is quicker and simpler and a lot cheaper?

Just to qualify, my experience with the Schick Injector blades in the Supply SE illustrates the current state of play in modern injector razors. The Asylum Injector Razor for example accepts a variety of injector blades but doesn't have any means of using the injector function with blades manually loaded. The Asylum Injector Razor is therefore not an injector razor!

Anyway, I had my first shave this morning with a Schick yellow pack injector blade in my Supply SE and it does appear to be sharper than the Supply blades. I'll know more when I've had more shaves with it.

Incidentally Supply claims up to 10 shaves per Supply Black Label blade but I got 12 compared to 5 to 7 with most sharper DE blades such as Gillette Silver Blue.

I'm interested in trying this or the Asylum at some point. I'm not really a vintage guy so I'm not sure there's many more modern injector options!!! The Parker Variant one maybe!!!

I'm annoyed I missed out on the Supply razor when Pritchards were selling them as presumably I'll have to import it now. Oh well!

Anyway good read guys!!

I'm interested in trying this or the Asylum at some point. I'm not really a vintage guy so I'm not sure there's many more modern injector options!!! The Parker Variant one maybe!!!

I'm annoyed I missed out on the Supply razor when Pritchards were selling them as presumably I'll have to import it now. Oh well!

Anyway good read guys!!
Try Agent Shave in U.K. for the Supply SE. Personally, I bought mine direct from Supply. There is Shave Classic on USA Amazon which I have on order and I hope to post a quick review of it in due course. It's currently in tansit with DHL due to be delivered around July 8th. Total price with Amazon currency conversion and including shipping from USA was £34. It looks to be a clone of the Schick L1 and gets mixed reviews on Anazon.

Back
Top Bottom