Acquisitions - August 2024

Will you use the new sabre on your next shave mark. Can’t wait for someone to make a comparison with the old sabre.i always wished the previous sabre had a 1.5 plate. So fingers crossed this new one hits that spot - maybe I’ll also buckle and get one if this is the case. J.

GIF by Schitt's Creek's Creek
Sadly not mate, I've got one more day on the straights (using the same setup all month) then it's back to a free-for-all. So I'll dive onto it on Sunday and post initial thoughts.

I'll probably jump straight to the Lvl 4 as i tend to swing towards more efficient, but I'll give the lower plates a go straight after the 4.

Bit of an ebay find.
If the blades are in good condition it’s worth every penny View attachment 124663View attachment 124662
I miss the previous British currency system — £sd; it worked for 800 years and I am convinced it made kids better at learning mental arithmetic. Those blades are seriously expensive! as a nipper two bob would buy enough sweets and fags for a week!

Last edited:
I miss the previous British currency system — £sd; it worked for 800 years and I am convinced it made kids better at learning mental arithmetic. Those blades are seriously expensive! as a nipper two bob would buy enough sweets and fags for a week!
I have a better grasp than most people of my age (I'm in my forties) with the £ / d (and terms like tanner and old coins like farthings) but I do struggle a bit with some of the arithmetic.
Then I try to work out roughly what the prices would be in 2024 decimal pounds....

I have a better grasp than most people of my age (I'm in my forties) with the £ / d (and terms like tanner and old coins like farthings) but I do struggle a bit with some of the arithmetic.
Then I try to work out roughly what the prices would be in 2024 decimal pounds....
I'm waiting for the 'bring back the shilling' campaign, followed by the bring back the imperial weights and measures campaign. I still keep my old imperial wrenches in anticipation and still think in gallons, miles, yards etc...

What could be more intuitive than the previous currency system :)

1 guinea = 21 shillings
1 sovereign = 20 shillings
I pound = 20 shillings or 240 pennies or 960 farthings
1 shilling = 12 pennies
1 penny = 4 farthings (quarter pennies).
2 farthings = 1 halfpenny
2 halfpence = 1 penny (1d)
3 pence = 1 thruppence (3d)
4 pence = groat
6 pence = 1 sixpence (a 'tanner') (6d)
12 pence = 1 shilling (a bob)
2 shillings = 1 florin ( two bob)
2 shillings and 6 pence = 1 half crown (2s 6d)
5 shillings = 1 crown (a hog)
10 shillings = half a bar

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom