Adjustable? No thanks.

The Tatara Muramasa is my all time favourite adjustable razor, so much more than just adjusting the blade gap but through the fantastic design you can also adjust the blade exposure, the only adjustable razor that can do both these things at once. ( I think, although I don't mind being proven wrong)
I love this razor mostly for it's design although it's also given me outstanding shaves!
Watching the baseplate get wider as you adjust the blade gap and also the blade exposure is spellbinding.

Paul.

Last edited:
Actually, most companies are rebranding (generally not very good) copies of Merkur, EJ or Muhle made by a few manufacturers in China, rather than rebranding the genuine stuff directly. The differences are often visible even in product photos - in how precisely cast the top cap and base plate are, their slightly different shapes and how good the plating is.

Could you link to a Parker Variant (which seems to be their only adjustable at this time) rebrand?
Most of those I've seen are actually Merkur Futur clones or derivatives, made by Weishi and a few other Chinese companies (with the odd tweak here and there), so a Variant rebrand would be interesting to see.

Depends on shaving experience.

When starting traditional wet shaving or even returning to it after a period of cartridge shaving you're going to be razor hopping to find the right razor. So starting with an adjustable can save money in being largely more razors in one. I have to say here that I never got on with any of the razors commonly recommended for beginners whether it be Muhle or Merkur and my worst razor of all time was the EJ DE89. So returning to wet shavingt was for me comparatively expensive.

But once the origional starting period is over you're going to be stuck with the original adjustable because moving to any non-adjustable will result in razor hopping again.

What I find curious is experienced shavers who should have found their sweet razor(s) by then who change to an adjustable. I put it down to convenience because othjerwise it doesn't make sense to me.

I know people who can make baseballs dissapear into unusual places without effort... I KNOW I would not want to try it without even having to try it..

i bought my first fat boy in 2016 for the shelf in my office.at that point i had used cartridge razors and bic disposables since 1981.i at least used a brush and wilkinson blue soap since 2007.after trying the fatboy i bougt an ej 89 and a merkur 34 hd..after a few shaves i didn't really like either and went back to the fatboy..then the collecting really started...at 110 + razors i decided to down size,keeping my favourite English gillettes with a few u.s, and canadian models.my point to this ramble..
i have passed along a few gillette adjustables,but i kept a fatboy,a slim and a super 84.these tend to be my least used razors at present time as i enjoy OC gillettes, RFB new types mostly..most gillettes feel very similar these days..so..adjustables? i have little use for them but respect their place in history..