Adjusting an adjustable

Quick question for someone!

From the excellent advice I've read here, you adjust before tightening the head (if I've read it correctly).

So, if you want to alter the setting mid shave I take it loosen the head again then? Is that correct? And how far do you loosen it (if so)?

Sorry if these have been answered before, I couldn't find the answer in my page trawl.

Tall_Paul said:
Quick question for someone!

From the excellent advice I've read here, you adjust before tightening the head (if I've read it correctly).

So, if you want to alter the setting mid shave I take it loosen the head again then? Is that correct? And how far do you loosen it (if so)?

Sorry if these have been answered before, I couldn't find the answer in my page trawl.

Yes, if you try to adjust it whilst the doors are locked down, you could damage it.

It's just easier to adjust that way. I'm not pissing on your trousers Chris but I've yet to hear of a vintage adjustable go twang while it's being adjusted with the doors wound up, I doubt they would have lasted 50 odd years if they were that fragile, just one of those memes that works I suppose.

antdad said:
It's just easier to adjust that way. I'm not pissing on your trousers Chris but I've yet to hear of a vintage adjustable go twang while it's being adjusted with the doors wound up, I doubt they would have lasted 50 odd years if they were that fragile, just one of those memes that works I suppose.

Might not go twang exactly, but it is putting an unnecessary strain on the internals - which could deform permanently with no outward sign of damage...

antdad said:

No problem; I realised after you posted that you'd answered the question "How much?" better than I had... :roll: ;)

hunnymonster said:
antdad said:

Might not go twang exactly, but it is putting an unnecessary strain on the internals - which could deform permanently with no outward sign of damage...

I'm just not convinced of that tbh Honey.

This isn't my fatboy but as I see it there's only one spring and one collet and crucially it all sits below the adjustment ring and using either method I assume you are compressing the same spring and generating the same forces along the stem, you'd have to be. I just think it feels like you are generating more force/stress because of the extra gripping force required on the much much smaller adjustment dial when its locked up. Try gripping and locking the TTO knob by gripping the last 1/4 of it's length by your fingertips , that's the equivalent of using the adjustment dial when locked but I agree it's certainly easier to release the mechanism before adjusting.

Slim.jpg

Didn't mean to start a row! A quarter or half turn, then adjust sounds all fine and dandy to me. :D

Now, just need to order my vintage adjustable then need to seriously consider whether I need a Mergress XL or not (and don't mention the Feather TAS-DS - I am a sucker for beautiful design). :D

hunnymonster said:
Right - but since it's possible to over (or underclock) it intentionally - it's obviously possible to do it unintentionally, more likely when it's under pressure because you may not detect the overforce.

End of the day - why risk it?

There might be a very very small risk in depressing the ratchet and over or under clocking I suppose but that isn't damaging nor does it create extra undue stress because the dial/collar operates within a range that cannot be exceeded. Try it, I found the torque required to turn the dial still remains the same irrespective of it's position within that range.

I understand why folks are convinced by it, if I had a small torque wrench I could demonstrate that it feels tighter than it actually is through lack of purchase not extra force required to turn it, that's my only bone. So by all means loosen the doors prior to adjusting because it's physically easier for you to do but adjusting a fully tightened razor a few clicks mid shave isn't going to create any undue stress even though it feels as though it is. It's just a meme that has stuck without challenge or evidence.

Back
Top Bottom