Advice using R41 and after care

Hi folks,

Having a good time using my new R41 with my go to blade - Nacet's. Unlike my ED89 and Henson I'm finding I get irritation around and below my Adams apple - I have tried mapping my hair and do WTG/XTG on this area, see attached photo from a few hours after

I get a really good shave on the rest of my face, maybe one cut if I'm silly, decent lather with 3p and alum/Nivea sensitive balm after. I get a real zing from the alum and seems to flare the redness up

I can only assume it's my angle, any other suggestions or pointers? Only used it a couple times thus far1000018424.jpg

Hi folks,

Having a good time using my new R41 with my go to blade - Nacet's. Unlike my ED89 and Henson I'm finding I get irritation around and below my Adams apple - I have tried mapping my hair and do WTG/XTG on this area, see attached photo from a few hours after

I get a really good shave on the rest of my face, maybe one cut if I'm silly, decent lather with 3p and alum/Nivea sensitive balm after. I get a real zing from the alum and seems to flare the redness up

I can only assume it's my angle, any other suggestions or pointers? Only used it a couple times thus farView attachment 122876
Perhaps your going over those areas too many times and the lathers gone so you are going over dry skin without realising it?
I would personally lather up those spots again and make a third even fourth pass rather than trying to do everything in just two, if you are really determined to get a bbs finish.

If you are new to the R41 I wouldn't sweat it and just do two passes even if they are not perfect because you will actually find as you dial into the razor the problem areas sort themselves out naturally as your skill increases.
I would suggest @OrangeSport might be the guy with some great input as I believe it's one of his top razors and will have much more experience than myself.
Good luck its pretty a one pass and bbs razor once dialled in, just give it time and try and stick with the Nacet.

Hi

I love R41s and have had most versions, for quite some time I only used R41s and I shave 6 days per week. I now just have a Twist, a GS and the earlier, wilder Zamak model.

I love the R41 as I’m prone to irritation. I find that it’s so effective that I only need two passes, which reduces irritation.

Below is what I find works for me with the R41, as well as all my other razors (which also tend to be in the more effective side of things). I’ve got to this process over (too) many years. Changing any part can have an effect on my shave.

*Keep myself hydrated. It helps the skin during a shave.

*I warm the razor in hot water.

*Good preshave prep. I wash my face in hot water. I soak my whiskers. I apply a little glycerin soap (such as pears) and gently massage it in before each pass.

*I face lather. I think it hydrates my face better.

*First pass is with and across the grain for me. Use no pressure at all. Not any. No, that’s too much! Remember to stretch the skin.

*I rinse my face well and reapply the preshave soap as the razor sits in warm water.

*Face lather again.

*The second pass is against the grain and pick-ups. Again no pressure. Really remember to stretch the skin.

*Don’t worry if you can feel a little stubble on your neck as it tends to go as you cool your face. Don’t chase BBS. Sometimes it happens but it always grows back.

*Postshave - I rinse my face in icy cold water then apply the squeezing from the brush to my face and rub it in. I rinse it off with icy cold water and wash my face with soap. I rinse that off with icy cold water.

*If there’s any skin damage (there shouldn’t be) use alum, witch hazel, gel as appropriate.

*Apply a splash. Balms can irritate me.

I did a little video on shaving with the R41. I’ll try and find a link.

Hope that helps. Reading it it looks like a lot, but it really isn’t and it’s my go-to method for a good shave.

Looking smooth! I had another crack, focused on letting the weight of the head do the work and keeping the passes low.

I struggled on the neck going second pass ATG for sure, the angle and pressure I couldn't get nailed. You can one particular stroke on the left side of photo!

Also used a bit of pre shave oil, followed up with some alum and aftershave - always seems to make redness more prominent in the short term

A couple weepers in some problems areas, overall a better shave.I also used the last of some TOBS instead of extro, I think I had a better lather this time.

Tomorrow I'll pay a wee bit more attention to skin stretching and use my normal 3p with WTG/XTG , I think I'll have it almost there! 1000018459.jpg

Looking smooth! I had another crack, focused on letting the weight of the head do the work and keeping the passes low.

I struggled on the neck going second pass ATG for sure, the angle and pressure I couldn't get nailed. You can one particular stroke on the left side of photo!

Also used a bit of pre shave oil, followed up with some alum and aftershave - always seems to make redness more prominent in the short term

A couple weepers in some problems areas, overall a better shave.I also used the last of some TOBS instead of extro, I think I had a better lather this time.

Tomorrow I'll pay a wee bit more attention to skin stretching and use my normal 3p with WTG/XTG , I think I'll have it almost there! View attachment 122919
Give yourself some time and it will all come together.

Glad it's getting better

I would not shave again until the irritation is gone. Also, maybe on the second pass go with the grain again for now. Its an efficient razor and 2 WTG passes might well hecenough on your neck. It's a problem area for lots of people.

Remember the cold washing post-shave. It can really help.

You are using a very sharp blade in an open comb razor which personally I would avoid. The default answer is to change the blade for a less agressive one. But everyone is unique and that's the main problem in providing advice. Alternatively shave the area where there is irritation only once WTG.
I'd agree, I use a astra or shark with mine and they feel OK. If you want to try some and see of there's a different getin touch and I'll send you some. (Hopefully your in the UK!!).. its a great razor which I use a lot....

Had another go yesterday, I noticed I had two large ingrown hair bumps on my jawline just before I started and I was in a rush to get out the door - Needless to say I butchered the shave haha, couple large weepers on the bumps and a couple under nostrils

I'm going leave my skin for a few days and shave with my ED89 or similar. I'm then I'm off on holiday for the next couple of weeks, I'll probably be bringing only my Henson as my partner uses it too!

I'll have another go mid August and I'm hoping my bumps will have gone !

I'd agree, I use a astra or shark with mine and they feel OK. If you want to try some and see of there's a different getin touch and I'll send you some. (Hopefully your in the UK!!).. its a great razor which I use a lot....
Thank you for the offer! I'll try some of my less aggressive blades perhaps on my return . I have some Dorco Primes knocking around as a minimum

Back
Top Bottom