Any blades you won't buy again?

Derby
Shark
Wilkinson
7 o'clock yellow
All of these have given me poor shave. It's been a long time since I used them though and I could give them another chance.
But I won't! Life's too short for bad wine or blades.

Is it possible that a lot of our issues with blades is to do with technique, skin, preparation and the razor?...

Yes, many times that is the case. It goes against the grain (pun intended) for many men to state that they may be part of the problem. I went through a period after a few years of DE shaving whereas the shaves were getting noticeably rougher. I timed myself and it dawned on me that I was gradually reducing prep time & thoroughness. My beard requires a Helluva lot of moisture to be cut efficiently and that takes time & patience with good products helping tremendously.

As well, certain shave brush hair types don't work well across the spectrum of creams & soaps. Using a top shelf synthetic brush clearly points this out for me at least. Finally, not all soaps & creams are alike and some just won't work as good as others.

Couldn't be bothered to go to the blades drawer, so I pulled a blade from my small bathroom cabinet supply at random.

It is (or was) a Supermax Platinum Plus.

I'd forgotten how awfully bad this blade is; blunt, tuggy, useless. What's worse is that I think I may have about 50, but I don't hate anyone enough to give them away.

I'm sorry to say that I have never been happy with any Rapiras nor with Voskhod. Seems I am alone in this. Perhaps that means I really should get a 5er of each again?

I'm sorry to say that I have never been happy with any Rapiras nor with Voskhod. Seems I am alone in this. Perhaps that means I really should get a 5er of each again?

What blades are you using? I've never got on with any of the blades from Mostochlegmash in Moscow, those being -
Rapira Lada
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Rapira Platinum Lux
Rapira Super Stainless
Rapira Voskhod
Sharp Star Platinum

Those from St.Petersburg however, I find to be best -
Astra Keramik
Astra Superior Platinum
Astra Superior Stainless
Gillette Platinum
Iridium Super
Nacet Stainless
Perma-sharp Super Stainless
Polsilver
Rubie Platinum
7 o'clock SharpEdge (Yellow Pack)
7 o'clock Super Platinum (Dark Blue pack)
7 o'clock Super Stainless (Green pack)
Gillette Silver Blue
Sputnik Platinum Chrome

What blades are you using? I've never got on with any of the blades from Mostochlegmash in Moscow, those being -
Rapira Lada
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Rapira Platinum Lux
Rapira Super Stainless
Rapira Voskhod
Sharp Star Platinum

Those from St.Petersburg however, I find to be best -
Astra Keramik
Astra Superior Platinum
Astra Superior Stainless
Gillette Platinum
Iridium Super
Nacet Stainless
Perma-sharp Super Stainless
Polsilver
Rubie Platinum
7 o'clock SharpEdge (Yellow Pack)
7 o'clock Super Platinum (Dark Blue pack)
7 o'clock Super Stainless (Green pack)
Gillette Silver Blue
Sputnik Platinum Chrome

Fabulous; thanks! I am, like you, a Petersburg man – without knowin. Apart from the Sharp Star P, I have tried all of the Moscow blades. All of my favourites are among the Petersburg list (Polsilver, Astra SP, Silver Blues, 7 o'clock yellows). Moreover, right now I can't think of which from outside Russia I would miss. Neither Kais nor Bolzanos did it for me, for instance.

Fabulous; thanks! I am, like you, a Petersburg man – without knowin. Apart from the Sharp Star P, I have tried all of the Moscow blades. All of my favourites are among the Petersburg list (Polsilver, Astra SP, Silver Blues, 7 o'clock yellows). Moreover, right now I can't think of which from outside Russia I would miss. Neither Kais nor Bolzanos did it for me, for instance.

Don't forget Personna Lab Blues (Med Preps are identical, just sterilised) . Made in the USA and as good as any from St.Petersburg. They are NOTHING like other Personna blades, which I can't have at all.

Timor - had so much irritations I could not shave for 5 days:mad:

Kai - (YMMV) were rough and not so sharp, expecially for the price they cost:rolleyes:

BIC - first shave very good, second shave horrendous

Back
Top Bottom