Any injector users here?

Evening all,

The past few shaves I've had, I've been using a Schick Injector adjustable.

I've been getting some really good shaves. BBS and it's been fast and easy compared to using a DE.

So I was wondering if anyone else uses them on here and what your thoughts were?

Dipesh

I recently bought a PAL non-adjustable and bought some modern injector blades off a well known supplier. The razor seemed ok - a bit like a cartridge razor in feel and shaving - but the blades weren't sharp enough by far.
Dodgy has kindly lent me a Schick adjustable - might be the same model as yours - and some vintage and (I'm warned) very sharp vintage blades. I'm going to try it tomorrow and will post here afterwards. It's encouraging to hear your results.

I have a Schick Golden 500 Injector which always gives me superb shaves.

In fact, I remember posting on SOTD the very first time I used it because it just worked so well and so effortlessly. With my DE razors, it usually takes me a short while to figure out how to get the best out of them, but with the Injector it just did the job amazingly well first time.

It could easily be my main razor but for two reasons: Firstly, it has a lightweight plastic handle that just doesn't compete with the weight and aesthetics of my favourite DEs. Also, good quality blades aren't as readily available. If they were, and there was an Injector with a cool, chunky metal handle, I would happily use one all the time.

What's goin on Dipesh,

There's a review of the L type I did a while back that you can read if you like. It's gonna shave very similar to that adjustable of yours, set on the #3-4. Yeah, it's a little on the mild side, which fits me well. That's about my magic Gillette # anyway, and no problem with the L type fixed head version.

The older E and G types feel like a solid #8-9 or so.....very popular bloodsucking vampire razors that lots of people use comfortably. That I just do not understand.

I have a Schick adjustable in my rotation and it's a great change of pace razor. Depending on the blade, it's dialed into either the 3 or 4 setting.

Martin

You know, My benefactor and buddy Mr Otten sent me a PAL adjustable to keep in the arsenal. Never had gotten round to ever sample one of those De Lorean like razors, although I knew it gets mixed reviews. He saidd his experience was positive and i gotta agree with Bob. Felt good in my hand and the shave was fine. First time using it I noticed a few red spots (user error) that went away fast. Heh, after that it was uneventful and it was used 4 times so far. Worth a shot for as inexpensive as they can often sell for.

NotTheStig said:
I recently bought a PAL non-adjustable and bought some modern injector blades off a well known supplier. The razor seemed ok - a bit like a cartridge razor in feel and shaving - but the blades weren't sharp enough by far.
Dodgy has kindly lent me a Schick adjustable - might be the same model as yours - and some vintage and (I'm warned) very sharp vintage blades. I'm going to try it tomorrow and will post here afterwards. It's encouraging to hear your results.

Are these the Personna ones from Connaught?

I'm currently using modern Schick blades that came with the razor. So far so good. Sharp and smooth so far. It's got 3 shaves under its belt and not dulled yet.

Francorelli said:
I have a Schick Golden 500 Injector which always gives me superb shaves.

In fact, I remember posting on SOTD the very first time I used it because it just worked so well and so effortlessly. With my DE razors, it usually takes me a short while to figure out how to get the best out of them, but with the Injector it just did the job amazingly well first time.

It could easily be my main razor but for two reasons: Firstly, it has a lightweight plastic handle that just doesn't compete with the weight and aesthetics of my favourite DEs. Also, good quality blades aren't as readily available. If they were, and there was an Injector with a cool, chunky metal handle, I would happily use one all the time.

Do you have any pics of that Jos? I'd like to see it!

dodgy said:
What's goin on Dipesh,

There's a review of the L type I did a while back that you can read if you like. It's gonna shave very similar to that adjustable of yours, set on the #3-4. Yeah, it's a little on the mild side, which fits me well. That's about my magic Gillette # anyway, and no problem with the L type fixed head version.

The older E and G types feel like a solid #8-9 or so.....very popular bloodsucking vampire razors that lots of people use comfortably. That I just do not understand.

I have a Schick adjustable in my rotation and it's a great change of pace razor. Depending on the blade, it's dialed into either the 3 or 4 setting.

Martin

You know, My benefactor and buddy Mr Otten sent me a PAL adjustable to keep in the arsenal. Never had gotten round to ever sample one of those De Lorean like razors, although I knew it gets mixed reviews. He saidd his experience was positive and i gotta agree with Bob. Felt good in my hand and the shave was fine. First time using it I noticed a few red spots (user error) that went away fast. Heh, after that it was uneventful and it was used 4 times so far. Worth a shot for as inexpensive as they can often sell for.

Hey Dodgster,

I've been using the Schick at around 5-6. It seems to be perfect for me.

I also have another injector but I don't know what type it is. It looks more modern than the bulky head ones you see quite often. Doesn't shave as nice as the Adjustable though.

Once this blade goes, I'm going to be trying out those Gillette blades you kindly sent over. See how I get on with those.

Pal adjustable? What's that like? More importantly does it look nice?

Dipesh

Dipesh said:
I've been using the Schick at around 5-6. It seems to be perfect for me.

Once this blade goes, I'm going to be trying out those Gillette blades you kindly sent over. See how I get on with those.

Pal adjustable? What's that like? More importantly does it look nice?

Dipesh

The PAL adjustable is a futuristic looking thing with a brushed stainless top and plastic underneath handle combo. More weight than most other injectors which is a good thing, and so far the few shaves I had with it were good. Can't really say if it's as good as the Schick as of now. Personally, I think it's a nice looking piece.

When you try those Gillette injector blades I guarantee you'll notice a difference from your current ones. Can't tell you which will end up being a better fit, but you can at least try a new to you blade if nothing else. You may like to dial that injector down to #5 and see how that works. You can always dial up if you need more bite.

I sent NTS a few of those blades as well. He's also in a good situation where he's already used a blade before as a comparison.

Type at you later,

Martin

Here we are - a few pics of my Schick Injector 'Golden 500'.

I used it this morning, and as always it delivered effortlessly great results. I've only ever used two types of blade with it. NOS Schick Platinums made in Holland (excellent), and some modern Personnas from Connaught (ok, but not as good). One of the photos shows the Schick Krona blades that came with it in the case, but I've never tried those. This is the only Injector I've tried, but I certainly find it to be a supremely smooth and efficient tool - I recall Dodgy describing the feeling as 'wiping the whiskers away' with a squeegee.

I've often thought it's a shame that Injectors never gained significant market share over DEs, because I consider them as having some design advantages over DE razors. For starters, is there any blade-replacement system that is as ingenious, satisfying and downright cool as the Injector? The head shape is very manoeuvrable and a doddle to get under the nose, more so than a DE or GEM-style SE head.

If I were to design my ultimate safety razor, it might possibly be an Injector weighing about 80g or more, with the chunky chrome aesthetics of a Fatboy, Aristocrat or Merkur HD. Maybe even a stainless steel version like Ikon or Feather. Now that would be a damn fine razor...

img4318b.jpg

img4317d.jpg

img4321rr.jpg

Nice photos. The head does fit a bit better under the nose. Surprised there was never a lock/unlock pivot for DE or SE blades to get the angle.

This should be in the acquisitions thread but I just won 12 unopened PAL injector blades. I hope these are good. Cost me £1.99 with 99p of that as delivery charge.

Francorelli said:
Here we are - a few pics of my Schick Injector 'Golden 500'.

I used it this morning, and as always it delivered effortlessly great results. I've only ever used two types of blade with it. NOS Schick Platinums made in Holland (excellent), and some modern Personnas from Connaught (ok, but not as good). One of the photos shows the Schick Krona blades that came with it in the case, but I've never tried those.
If I were to design my ultimate safety razor, it might possibly be an Injector weighing about 80g or more, with the chunky chrome aesthetics of a Fatboy, Aristocrat or Merkur HD. Maybe even a stainless steel version like Ikon or Feather. Now that would be a damn fine razor...]

How you doin,

Yeah, some handle weight's what's needed all right. I'd also try and somehow bulk up the head with some extra grams in hopes of keeping it from being too outta balance. Then I'd think an adjustable feature would be a handy fine tune option.

Your razor is one I've used a bunch in the past and that J handle is a good one. One of the more comfortable designs and I might even prefer that over the L type for how it feels in my hand.

Heh, you should definitely give those old blades a try. There's various Schick Krona and other Schick types in my arsenal, plus others used in the past, performing from better than average to excellent.

Martin

Some of the vintage selection in the arsenal:

Attachments

• Injector blades 001.jpg
    Injector blades 001.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 32
dodgy said:
How you doin,

Yeah, some handle weight's what's needed all right. I'd also try and somehow bulk up the head with some extra grams in hopes of keeping it from being too outta balance. Then I'd think an adjustable feature would be a handy fine tune option.

Your razor is one I've used a bunch in the past and that J handle is a good one. One of the more comfortable designs and I might even prefer that over the L type for how it feels in my hand.

Heh, you should definitely give those old blades a try. There's various Krona types in my arsenal, performing from much better than average to excellent.

Martin

Hi buddy

The handle is actually my least favourite aspect of this Injector - too long, too light and too plastic! Hence my musings on chunky metal handles :icon_smile:

Yes, I should definitely give those blades a try, I'm not sure why I've not tested them out yet.

Francorelli said:
[Hi buddy

The handle is actually my least favourite aspect of this Injector - too long, too light and too plastic! Hence my musings on chunky metal handles :icon_smile:

Yes, I should definitely give those blades a try, I'm not sure why I've not tested them out yet.

Oh yeah, I agree with you about the handle length and weight needing to be changed. Just saying that as far as a bad situation goes.....heh. One handle that's excellent is the 'Grip' model. That injector has what looks like a tennis racquet handle in a brown color with the same head design as yours.

The injector that really does have some weight is the O type, which mighta been the last version made (these were mostly sold in Japan). I think they weigh maybe 50g or more, with a tremendously comfortable rubber coated handle. Never used one, but I did have a famous clone (NWC) that performed pretty well.

Martin

Here's a few pics of the unused short handle I2 in the arsenal. This one's got the Hydro Magic feature, which seems to work ok. I've tried other Hydros in the past and I like em. You can see the black dummy blade still loaded.

Attachments

• Hydromagic I2 001 (Small).jpg
    Hydromagic I2 001 (Small).jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 27
  • Hydromagic I2 002 (Small).jpg
    Hydromagic I2 002 (Small).jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 30
dodgy said:
The injector that really does have some weight is the O type, which mighta been the last version made (these were mostly sold in Japan). I think they weigh maybe 50g or more, with a tremendously comfortable rubber coated handle. Never used one, but I did have a famous clone (NWC) that performed pretty well.

Here's a few pics of the unused short handle I2 in the arsenal. This one's got the Hydro Magic feature, which seems to work ok. I've tried other Hydros in the past and I like em. You can see the black dummy blade still loaded.

The O Type sounds interesting - is this the one? I'd love to try one of those out.

injectoro.jpg

Yes, I like the look of that short handle I2. I believe my Golden 500 has the cheeky Hydro Magic feature too.

Back
Top Bottom