Atelier Durdan GEM Razor

I have the + plate on my Vestige and against the Sabre L2, it falls a bit short but, is slightly more effective than the L1. It's in-between those two in regards to the Sabre (which happens to be my favorite GEM razor ever followed by the Pall Mall). It's closer to the Bullet Tip and to a lesser degree the GEM push-button. In terms of a more aggressive or assertive feeling shave, it falls way short of the MMOC & Clog-Pruf if that is the area of efficient level of shave you seek. The optional plate gaps may provide you with more cutting performance but, I can't say that they will equal the vintage GEMS that I mentioned previously. The Vestige is a pricey tool, no question about it. But, it is expertly crafted and is offered in multiple alloys to cater to one's taste. If you enjoy the Sabre L2, I'd suggest just waiting a bit more for the updated release from Blackland and see what the initial shave reports conclude. 4 levels of shave choices on the new Sabre sounds very enticing and may provide the shave performance you may desire.

Good luck in your search.... (y)
Thanks for your comprehensive reply,I think that this is not a Razor for me as I much prefer the MMOC to the Bullet Tip, and The Sabre is not for me at all.

Oops, there's that screw again perhaps originally seen on the Blackland AC blade Vector and the Blackland Gem blade Sabre for which Yaqi got accused of copying in its Excalibur, Raster, etc. and lately the 316 SS Romulus (currently in transit to me as I write this) and Remus. The purpose of the slotted screw I think is so that the head can be narrower and I wonder if this is the purpose of the Vestige.

However the slotted screw and narrower head perhaps does have a disadvantage in a weaker top cap: As Yaqi point out with the Romulus, tightening or as they say "locking" the handle to the razor head without a blade due to an allowance for the AC blade in the engineering can distort the top cap. So they recommend keeping the handle loose when storing without a blade.

Not noticed that effect with my Vector or Vestige and haven't noticed any distortion or change in the shave. I suspect unless it's subpar material, machining or you are trying to tighten the head up with a ratchet you'd be hard pressed to warp the cap on either of them.

Considering the length of time the Vector has been out you would have thought you would have heard rumblings from users. Or perhaps there has been and I've missed it.

The biggest concern with the Vestige is how thin the lather channel holes are, a decent knock could bend them. But then again the same could be said of a lot of razors if you bounce them off the floor, best not to play basket ball with it.

View attachment 105533

Vestige
We are proud to introduce our latest razor, the Vestige, which perfectly embodies the spirit of innovation and quality of Atelier DURDAN. Designed to offer an unparalleled shaving experience, Vestige combines smoothness, efficiency and lightness without compromise.

With a featherweight of only 40g, blade mounted, the Vestige is an ultra-light shaver that respects the guiding principles of our workshop. Several technical innovations have been made to push the limits of performance and comfort when shaving. Inspired by our La Faulx razor, the Vestige takes the concept a step further by offering a near-zero GAP. The cut is generated by gaps across the width of the base plate, while 0.3mm islands ensure optimal cut control in all conditions.

The Vestige will be available in a variety of aggressiveness levels to meet individual preferences. Its sleek, highly maneuverable handle features an additional innovation: a tapered base that makes it easier to fit the razor while reducing mounting clearance to zero. While the Vestige's lightweight design seems ideal for a titanium version, we will also be testing a stainless steel version to give our customers additional choice.
I'll know more when I receive my Romulus polished, solid bar razor around Monday next week. It could be that the Romulus is engineered differently in which case it cannot possibly be claimed to be a copy of the Vector. However I suspect it's just Yaqi being cautious and providing advice which is pretty much Yaqi's way. Personally, I always take apart an AC blade r4azor anyway even if it's only stored overnight.

Back
Top Bottom