BBC Sports Personality of the year.

No expert on British sports, but I was really impressed with Anna Watkins and Katherine Grainger. I think the two may be joint winners.

Aye, Monsieur Le Wiggo. Has to be.

As has previously been mentioned we are not exactly short of candidates this year. Mo Farah's achievements were truly spectacular, Sir Chris Hoy is a living legend and Nicola Adams deserves a very special mention as the first ever female boxing gold medallist. With Ben Ainslie, its almost taken for granted that he'll get a gold medal and his record deserves special recognition. Also, it was such a joy to see Katherine Grainger finally get her hands on a gold medal after three silvers in each of three preceeding olympics. Jess Ennis's win after injury ruled her out of Beijing and her ability to deal with the extra pressure of being a Team GB poster girl was amazing.

However, to be the first Briton to win the Le Tour in its 100+ year history then to go on and take an Olympic Gold less than two weeks later is nothing sort of super human. The way the French people took to him was astonishing and he does, like it or loathe it, have personality by the bucketful. Go Wiggo!

P.S. at least the team award should be a no-brainer.

The Beeb missed a trick and should have had a best Olympic personality competition prior to this as a celebration of the event and the athletes, the top three only then going into the pool with the other sports for SPY.

I vote to hold over a few performances for 2013/14 where the count is sure to return to normal/dire.

My dad reckons the voting public are bonkers. He's astonished that Murray prevented Mo Farah from being in the top three, and, if I'm honest, I agree. Not to take anything away from Murray; he had a superb year, but to win both the 10,000 and 5,000 metres in the same Games is a momentous achievement - only the absolute greats of distance running have done it.

Mo's Olympic double was a brilliant achievement but so, too, was Andy's double achieved by beating two all time greats in a truly major sport.

Best to focus on the winner. Never in doubt.

What a year.

And now I'm enjoying a cuppa watching England winning their first series in India in 28 years.

Might shed a few tears on New Years Eve.

Back
Top Bottom