Best Cream for Sensitive Skin

I have very sensitive and dry skin, I have recently gone from using a Merkur 34C to a Tech, which has helped no end, but I wondered what the best shaving cream is for sensitive skin? Currently using Trumpers soap, (coconut oil or sandalwood) which I find can be a little bit drying, and I want to go for a cream.

I was thinking about Coates, any suggestions?

Most if not all soap n creams are drying by their very nature it's just a question of how drying.

If you truly have sensitive skin (most join here thinking they have) fragrance is the biggest culprit for a reaction, then you should probably go for an unscented product.

Amateur_Casual said:
I have very sensitive and dry skin, I have recently gone from using a Merkur 34C to a Tech, which has helped no end, but I wondered what the best shaving cream is for sensitive skin? Currently using Trumpers soap, (coconut oil or sandalwood) which I find can be a little bit drying, and I want to go for a cream.

I was thinking about Coates, any suggestions?

A few people have reported problems with the Coates cream, that it caused them irritation. That's not to say that it would cause problems for you, but if you have genuinely sensitive skin then it might not be the best one to try. You'll only find out by giving it a go though. Maybe an unscented cream might work well for you, you could be sensitive to some of the essential oils used to scent the soaps and creams. Art of Shaving make a good cream and there is an unscented version of it available.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Art-Shaving-SHAVING-CREAM-Unscented-Sensitive-Skin-/370476915788?pt=UK_Health_HairRemoval_RL&hash=item5642251c4c">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Art-Shaving-SHAVI ... 5642251c4c</a><!-- m -->

I suspect that it might be worth trying the Trumpers coconut cream. If the soap is okay, the cream may also work for you. It's also a very nice shaving cream, in my opinion.

As far as the Coates is concerned, I'd be tempted to leave it along for now. I don't consider myself to have particularly sensitive skin, but the Coates Ltd Edition cream did cause some mild irritation (slight burning/tingling). This is a great shame, because apart from that it was a great cream.

Ian

Thanks for the suggestions! I was recommended Trumpers Violet, but on second thoughts I think the Art of Shaving may perhaps be my best option, I'll certainly try it out.

Thanks again, all!

my favourite two for sensitive skin are:

-taylor of old bond street - jermyn collection for sensitive skin (great smell, great cream and zero alergens etc in it)

-truefitt & Hill - ultimate comfort (as above)

i use both myself

Excellent! So at the moment it is a duel between the TOBS Jermyn Street and the Art of Shaving unscented.

Great work everyone, more suggestions welcome!

I'll echo the points raised above.

Make sure you rinse with warm water - then splash cold water - then apply ASB

try:

Palmolive Sensitive Shaving Cream
and
Nivea Sensitive After Shave Balm

Both these can be purchased form boots for a couple of quid.

BlkKnight said:
I'll echo the points raised above.

Make sure you rinse with warm water - then splash cold water - then apply ASB

try:

Palmolive Sensitive Shaving Cream
and
Nivea Sensitive After Shave Balm

Both these can be purchased form boots for a couple of quid.

+1.

Experiment with the low, cost easily accessible creams first. Palmolive, Boots, Erasmic, Ingrams - they're all very good and <£2 each.

Good hunting!

My votes:

Cheapy: Body shop maca root. Great cream.
Middling: TOBS creams (I use lavender but it's very purple coloured and that might complicate things).
Expensive: T+H lavender cream (pretty neutral coloured) or ultimate comfort.

I have pretty sensitive skin and I get no reaction to any of those above.

Thanks. I did look at the Body Shop Maca Root shaving cream, and it seemed nice enough, however, I bought one of their shaving brushes and the Maca Root deodorant and both were awful. I have consigned the brush to the bin.

There's something in the Maca Root range (maybe the Maca Root?) that doesn't agree with me, shame really as the cream provides a very slick lather. I know a few other people have a similar reaction to it. You can see if it's okay for you by popping into the Body Shop and requesting a sample.

If you feel like trying something completely different just contact me with your address & I'll send you down a sample of Mama bear glycerine soap. I've found that the glycerine based soaps (as distinct from soaps containing glycerine) work well for me. Glycerine itself being hygroscopic they also (subjectively at least) leave my skin feeling more hydrated than some soaps or even creams I've tried in the past.

JohnnyO. \ :D

Yellow Jim said:
There's something in the Maca Root range (maybe the Maca Root?) that doesn't agree with me, shame really as the cream provides a very slick lather. I know a few other people have a similar reaction to it. You can see if it's okay for you by popping into the Body Shop and requesting a sample.
I tend to agree. Tried the Macca Root stuff a couple of weeks ago and didn't get on with it all, my face was very itchy all day afterwards. My current fav is Fitjar Shea Pleasure, before that Proraso Ultra sensitive.

Back
Top Bottom