Best shaving products??

Hi Iv just opened a new barber/tattoo shop.. Wanting to know what the best shaving products are to use? Best towels? Best brushes etc etc..

Opinions plz?

If I was running a barbershop I'd be using the kilogram blocks of Cella and synthetic brushes like the Plisson.

I'm all about giving the best quality and most comforting for client?? Would a synthetic brush be nice on the face, or would a type of badger be more comfortable with least irritation.. Thanks for reply

The new crop of synthetics (Plisson, Plissoft, Fine Angel Hair etc) are as soft as brushes can be. They're durable, hard wearing, dry quickly, never lose hairs and whip up lather much faster and more economically than any badger or boar.

Sounds awesome.. I need to know everything though? Best towels, best soap, type razors, pre shave oil etc.. Haha there's alot I know..

Welcome to TSR.
Shaving materials are a very personal preference but I agree re 1kg blocks of Cella, superb almond oil scent. You might also consider Taylor of Old Bond St soaps/creams and the Saponificio Varesino range.

Isn't there a professional supplier to the trade for shaving equipment? You didn't mention what razors you'll be using. Presumably cut throat types, in which case you'll also need strops, hones, etc. Sorry, I've no experience there.

Regards,
Chris

Welcome to TSR.
Shaving materials are a very personal preference but I agree re 1kg blocks of Cella, superb almond oil scent. You might also consider Taylor of Old Bond St soaps/creams and the Saponificio Varesino range.

Isn't there a professional supplier to the trade for shaving equipment? You didn't mention what razors you'll be using. Presumably cut throat types, in which case you'll also need strops, hones, etc. Sorry, I've no experience there.

Regards,
Chris
Can you actually use straight razors these days? Even traditional barber shops like Geo F. Trumper claim they use "specially made open razors with a new blade for each shave" in their shops.

Its basically a case of trying and finding out for yourself. Or in other words getting active on the forum. As Chris mentions its all very personal. In effect your asking a large database if they prefer ketchup to mustard on a hot dog. By this I mean the variables are too great.

Issues with large shaving suppliers or business supplies; having scoured this avenue the products on offer won't necessarily be artisanal nor will they be high end. Or at least not as high end as you thought.

My best set up depends on my mood, season and skin condition.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Can you actually use straight razors these days? Even traditional barber shops like Geo F. Trumper claim they use "specially made open razors with a new blade for each shave" in their shops.

I don't know nowadays, to be honest, which was why I asked what razors Alexk intended to use. Looking at some of the videos for traditional shaving experiences recently I saw what appeared to be classic straight razors and what could have been a shavette. One site even had a still image including what looked like a Gem or Ever Ready SE.

The term "best" is so subjective, especially for such a personal experience. Each member will have their own opinion as to what constitutes their best equipment/combination, possibly changing with season or even mood, as @Nishy suggests.

No easy answer to that one, although I too favour both ketchup and mustard.

Regards,
Chris

I guess also being a place where anyone can walk in of the street you'd need to consider things like if there are animal products in the soap and if all your products are hypoallergenic. It's not possible to spot test each client, therefore you'll never get the 'best' for everyone, rather good for most.

What I was thinking was getting the most mentioned brands for each piece of equipment then doing a poll ;) really in need of some decent absorbable, comfortable towels at the minute??

Without sounding rude or condescending, what do you currently use for yourself?

It seems a stretch to open a barbers offering shaves if you don't have experience yourself in at least the products used or what would be a suitable for public use?

A synthetic brush would be better purly on the fact it could be bunged in an autoclave and sterilised after use. The knot wouldn't last too long mind as the high temps would be murder on the glue holding it in the handle. Or can a brush be soaked in barbicide?

Back
Top Bottom