‘Budget’ blades

I have been experimenting with different blades on my Henson AL13++ courtesy of some @Borygmi gave me and a sample pack I bought,

I have not been through them all, but II was pleasantly surprised with the sharp and smooth shave Treet Platinum, Suneko Stainless Steel and Lord Platinum gave me.

The Permasharps and Gillette Silver Blues are also excellent, as are the Astra Greens. Muhle are so so, so - and Nacet is scary sharp!

Are there any other budget blades/ hidden gems out there? Can’t see a point paying a premium - or maybe I am looking for an excuse to buy more blades

BIC Chrome Platinum? BIC do seem to have got their act together in the last few years and rescued themselves from quite a reputation. I'd like these as possibly my second favourite blade (after the Treet Platinum as my all time favourite blade). I find these sharp as Feather (empirically more so, when tested by the now retired Refined Shave website). Light touch for the first shave or two.

Super Shave X (sold by Connaught) are really good, crisp blades - akin to Nacet on my face.

SuperMax Stainless blue pack is still widely available - a good, solid performer ... kinda like Derby Premium. I'd also suggest their Diamond Edge Platinum while stocks last. SuperMax have gone into administration, but being probably the largest double edge producer on the planet there'll be years of stock still in the system.

I also like almost anything from Lord which you'll find pretty much all their numerous brand Super Stainless are all the same and their Platinum are all the same ... but the Lord Platinum (you've tried) does stand above, the Silver Star Stainless (mentioned by @Johnny Bravo) as their sharp stainless and the Lord Classic (or Cool if you can find it) their smoothest.

I also like the Durasharp and Classic from Treet, which are cheap and reasonably easy to find. These are carbon steel blades, chromium treated and teflon coated.

I suppose I could mention Dorco, but since production has moved from South Korea to Vietnam I'm not that taken with them anymore, but if you've no point of comparison you may well find the current crop to be quite acceptable. Again, cheap and easy enough to come by - the ST300/301s would be my choice (same blade, different packaging).

Have fun!

Shark SS
Big Ben Blue
Asco SS
Supershave X

All very good for me

I don't generally buy expensive blades as I see no benefit in use. All the above will give me 6 to 7 good shaves, so last a week for me..

Shaved with a Dorco Prime Platinum this am. Lovely sharp blade, but not excessively so, giving a nice relaxed shave. Fine blade in my humble opinion.

Used a Supershaves X yesterday and found it insufficently sharp. Will give it another go

Thanks again to @semi for the blades as part of the PIF package.

Back
Top Bottom