can you use baby oil when shaving

Hi S/Joe

Are you going to use the oil solely, or as a pre-shave? TBH, and this is only my opinion, pre-shave oil didn't make a bit of difference, apart from affecting the lather, and that was somewhat badly.

I use baby oil on my head. Just a couple of drops (less than 1ml) on a damp head and it gives me the smoothest shave possible. Gunks my 5-bladed razor up like a very gunky thing but it is worth it.

I told my wife and now she swears by it when she does, well, whatever it is she shaves ... her palms and shoulders, I think.

Wouldn't use it on my face though. That's just asking for a spot, which is never a good look when you're as ugly as I am.

Occasionally I use a pre shave oil but it's not that often. Have to agree that it's not really necessary and can have an adverse effect on lather. I think I still use it only because 1) It smells nice and the face massaging feels good, and 2) I paid a lot for it and I'm damn well going to make sure it gets used up!

If I didn't already own the stuff, I wouldn't be in any rush to get some. But try baby oil by all means, who knows, you might enjoy it.

If you want a preshave oil, get in touch with Proffesor Blighty. He has some really nice ones.

Also if you find a preshave oil is having an effect on your lather, your using too much!

I use about the size of a 5p, maybe less and never had any troubles.

Baby oil is just light mineral oil IIRC. If you shave with a straight razor, I actually can't see any detriments if you use it in lieu of lather. However, I'm assuming you don't. Honestly can't say what would happen if you tried to use it with a DE or if it would have an adverse effect on your brush.

If you do try it, don't use a lot is my recommendation.

Back
Top Bottom