chiny chin chin

I'm struggling with the chin area, it's like trying to shave couch grass! I find it a little better leading with the toe of the blade and keeping it nice and flat but it still is a tough one to mow through. Wise words greatly appreciated.
P.S I'm using a full hollow at the moment so would it be worth trying a blade less hollow?

Nice to see you back! Well, I´m no expert, so take this with a grain of salt. Could be the grind, I generaly think that new straight razor shavers get better shaves with a 1/4 hollow ground and a round tip blade. BUT it´s very induvidual what works.

The angels: it can be take time to find them, especially on hard to shave areas, like the chin and neck. It gets better with time though, you get some kind of muscle memory re how to hold the blade - but this you need to work/practice on, I think.

I think it´s wise to work with the tip area of the blade, I find it to give better control too and that´s how I do my chin aswell (except for WTG strokes, then I pretty much use whatever lather free area of the blade that´s aviable).

I have a 7/16 razor and find this just right for the awkward areas. I can get a really close shave around my chin.

The worst are for me is below the jaw. My stubble grows from the chin towards the ear and it is a pig to go against the grain with a straight. I usuall resort to a DE for that bit.

Hello again and thanks for the advice chaps. Yes I agree the toe of the blade needs more control as I was using the heel part too often but this can be a little dangerous as you can soon forget about the other end, ouch! Though it is good for the stubborn stuff.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQco5PWc2JU">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQco5PWc2JU</a><!-- m -->

This should help you out alot

B

If it's the razor I think it is, it's not an outrageously flexible one - stiffer than it looks at first glance due to a pronounced longitudinal stabiliser. I can't see it causing much bother, but PM me zig zag if you fancy a change.

It took me longer to get decent results on my chin than anywhere else, the thing that nailed it was finding an easy angle of approach. In my case, that's from ear inwards, ie. against the grain, so I work straight downwards on the first pass to lop off the worst of the stubble, then do that ATG pass second time around.

There's a bit of slicing going on too, (don't overdo that!), which is how I manage an annoying area under the jaw very much like Parwin describes.

Back
Top Bottom