Closeness of a shave

Absolutely nothing wrong with what you're doing if its close enough and comfortable. If you want something closer than that dial up on the second pass and dial right down for some buffing to pick up some missed bits. As 5 is your median setting try a shave with setting on 4 then 6 and see if that improves the result still dialling down at the end for the buff.

7 mins in...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VClPqPMro4[/youtube]

simmo3801 said:
I generally use my adjustables for 3 passes on high, high and then low, ie 5, 5 then 1. Why do the 2nd pass on a higher setting Tony? I thought that the first pass removed most of the stubble then subsequent passes wouldn't need to be so aggressive as there wasn't so much stubble left. I ask as I'm relatively new to adjustables :?

Hi there,

The theory behind starting with a less aggressive setting and bumping that up during the shave has always appealed to me. Seems like it follows the gradual reduction method pretty well, which is the name of the game.

My magic # is 4, so let's say I use that for the first pass or two (I do 4+ passes). By then the whiskers are pretty well beaten down in a non aggressive and comfortable way. From there it makes sense to bump the number up a couple If I wanted a closer shave than usual. This extra bite will cut closer than the other lower setting was able to reach.

To me, starting with a high setting and taking it down from there seems like a rough way to go. You know, it almost is like starting your first pass XTG, or maybe even the ATG direction.

Heh, everyone has their own schtick,

Martin

You know I watched that video when I was thinking of buying a Progress. Then I bought a Mergress and have been using it and subsequent slims "wrongly" ever since. I know YMMV etc but I will try a 4, 6 then mild shave next to see what difference I notice.

Thanks, every day's a school day!

Back
Top Bottom