Comparison: Yaqi Excalibur Vs Yaqi Romulus AC Razors

Quite a lengthy test and along the way I've also compared 3P Saving Soap vs Haslinger Sheep Milk. I used boar brushes from Omega, Semogue and Zenith. Four AC blades were tested in both razors: Kai Titan Mild Pink, Feather Pro Light, Feather Pro Guard and Feather Professional. (I made up an AC blade sample pack by buying from RazorBladesClub which sells AC blades in singles.)

The Razors
Both of similar dimensions and weight. The Excalibur has a screw set at 90 degrees but the Romulus screw is angled at aproximately 60 degrees. The top cap on the Romulus is quite thinner than that of the Excalibur and appears to be quite fragile. The material for the Excalibur is Zinc Alloy (Zamak) while for the Romulus it's listed on Yaqi's selling page on Aliexpress as 316 Stainless Steel.

Shaving Characteristics
This is where the differences become much wider. The Excalibur comes in at about mid aggression so much so that the Feather Pro Guard and Feather Professional were too aggressive so the best blade was the Kai Titan Mild which provided a smooth shave. But the Romulus is much milder and the Kai was too mild so I had to use the Feather Pro Guard or Feather professional to actually shave the hair off.

Blades
Feather Pro Light - Did not fit in either razor so it couldn't be tested. The problem was the slots in the blade which are much smaller than those in the other blades I tested. The Kai Captain Mild in the Excalibur was pretty much clear cut. However in the Romulus both the Feather Pro Guard and Feather Professional performed equally. So I've opted for the Feather Professional for the Romulus because overall it's cheaper per blade. But if Romulus users already have Feather pro Guard blades i don't see any reason to change.

Haslinger Sheep Milk vs 3P Mandorla
Overall the 3P demolished the Haslinger and stuck the boot in. Both were pretty much equal in lather except that the Haslinger needed extra whipping. The Haslinger scent which I liked disappeared as soon as I started wetting and whipping and then returned when the soap dried out but worse was yet to come: All of my shaving brushes I used have never shed even a single hair but as soon as I used the Haslinger they started shedding a maximum of 3 hairs per shave. It's not clear whether this was due the extra whipping or some ingredient. The 3P had no such problems and the Mandorla (almond) sent lasted and no hairs shed.

Variations
No variations or upgrades are currently available for the Excalibur. However there are two possible upgrades of the Romulus: There is the Romulus magnetic which has a magnet in the bottom of the handle used for picking up blades and for those for whom the Romulus is too mild there is the Romulus Open Comb.

YMMV
Your Mileage May Vary

Yaqi-Compare.jpg

Back
Top Bottom