DE Beginners Kits

IMG_0427.jpg
The first of two posts from me for DE wet shave beginners. What to do and how to do it is beyond the scope of this post. My main consideration is to keep the cost down while providing a good experience to build upon. Similarly I've chosen La Barbiera due to postage costs being included in prices, but check other retailers as well as Amazon Prime and ebay first. So ...

- 3P shaving soap/cream is an Italian soft soap, a CROAP (cross between a cream and a soap). Really easy to whip up a thick lather in its own pot which provides the required cushioning and slickness and a mouth-watering almond/marzipan scent. £7.99 for 150ml from La Barbiera
- Gillette 7 O'Clock Sterling DE razor. This is a cheap razor and it shows in the finish and thin metal of the head. But nevertheless its a Gillette Tech head and it shaves like a Tech which means an efficient but mild shave. But where there's a blade there's a cut so take it easy and don't press. £4.99 on ebay.
- The razor comes with a Gillette 7 O'Clock Platinum blade but my recommendation is Gillette Platinum blades which are smoother. £1.99 for 5 from La Barbiera.
- Omega Pure (Boar) bristle brush which you'll need to whip up a good lather after soaking it in warm water for 10 mins or so. The brush in my pic is an Omega 10065 but the 10049 is better. £7.99 from La Barbiera
- Vegans could change the brush to a synthetic bristle. Look for a Tuxedo knot such as Yaqi Sagrada Familia. (UK Amazon and Aliexpress).
- Proraso Shave Cut Healing Gel (artificial skin). Cuts are still apparent but it looks better than bits of tissue paper stuck to your face. £3.49 from La Barbiera

Total - £26.45

I've left aftershave open because it's more of a personal choice. I like Brut aftershave lotion which contains oils to soothe the skin and a nice scent if a little short-lived.

Lastly YMMV - Your mileage may vary.

Nice little starter kit ..

Personally I would spend a little more on a razor (maybe one of the Fatips) as that's the thing you'll keep and less on soap/cream (perhaps Palmolive) as that is a "consumable" item along with a blade sample pack.

All personal preferences though...

The Proraso gel is great, not only for shaving. The Omega brushes are great value. Just give them a good shampoo first!

I'm also a big fan of Brut. Especially when you find it on offer...

Pretty much a hidden gem as is 3P Pre and Post Shave Cream. But a shame some leading retailers don't stock it ( this means you Connaught ). Perhaps if it was named something like "Robinson of New Oxford Street" it might ba more popular. But 3P it is.
Connaught did sell 3P once. It's where I first bought it. They sold it in 100ml pots that were taken from the large brick if I recall correctly. They stopped selling it after the great EU offload sale when Brexit threatened the 'legality' of some soaps in the UK.

Back
Top Bottom