Euro 2012

Didn't watch any of it but I won a bundle* on the draw.

*bundle to me is roughly equivalent to what a footballer gets for 5 minutes "work".

What an adject, dismal and disappointing display by England. Once again Hodgson set the side up to defend in a static 4,4,2 formation and continued to select both Young (who's form has disappeared) and Milner (who does not have the pace or guile to operate in a forward right midfield role).

I said earlier on in this thread that Capello would have been slaughtered in the press for adopting this formation and tactics - yet from looking at the BBC website the opinion seems to be that the side over-performed against expectations and that the manager is to be congratulated in getting to the quarter finals!!!

I watched the whole match and noticed that whenever the camera showed Hodgson, he appeared to be bemused by what was going on - no animation, no arm waving and shouting instructions - nothing. England ended up punting long balls into the centre forward area - the same tactics that have failed in every other competition of recent memory.

On a slightly separate issue - did anyone else pick up on the fact that in the Spain/France match there were a reported 2,000 Spanish and 800 French supporters? Imagine the demand for tickets were England able to field a side like Spain.

I suspect that statistic says more about the financial situation of Spain and France, than the quality of their fans.
I imagine most people in these countries don't feel they have the spare cash to follow their teams around the globe.

I actually one of those people who thinks Hodgson did well.
However, I thought we made ourselves look very poor and Italy look very good, by defending for a great part of the match. In fact pretty much straight after Gerrard got cramp.
Up til then we looked far more effective than Italy. They were taking shots from outside the box and doing loads of sideways passing, but England were breaking through and having chances inside the box.
But then we stopped trying, put men behind the ball and just launched to Carroll. Who then had no one to head to.
Poor tactics from 60 mins on, reasonable up til then.

Perhaps, the French are notoriously indifferent about football especially after they disintegrated at the last tournament and it is a very long way for the Spanish to travel. I think Hodgson's default expression is bemused whether he actually is or not...a bit like a dolphin with a permanent smile even though he might be getting cut up for sushi.

antdad said:
Perhaps, the French are notoriously indifferent about football especially after they disintegrated at the last tournament and it is a very long way for the Spanish to travel. I think Hodgson's default expression is bemused whether he actually is or not...a bit like a dolphin with a permanent smile even though he might be getting cut up for sushi.

From footie to ennui to sushi all in one post - wonderful.

Capello was moaned about for poor displays but there are two big problems - grass roots' development and the sheer number of foreign players in the English game. Without a devleopment on being comfortable with the ball and skill we will continue to exasperate at this level. Possession is king and the best form of defence is attack but one can only do that with the ball. Just look at Brazil - kids kicking tin cans from a young age and learn control. We seem to learn to get rid of the ball if anyone comes near and as for trying to take on a player, er no thanks!

Hodgson looked like he was watching a team that had no hope or was getting slaughtered. How we move on from here is the big question but we were lucky to get to the quarter finals especially in top spot.

Glad it's all over (no pun intended) and can watch some decent football being played - just hope Hodgson and the suits at the FA (as well as England team) watch and press the record button to pick up some pointers. ;)

I'm glad we don't have to go through it all again for a while. I've now got enough to worry about what with Wimbledon and Le Tour. Will be watching the finishes involving Cav and the key mountain stages as Wiggins goes for the yellow jersey. And the Tests against South Africa, Open Golf and Olympics to come.

Got some money on that skinny, sour-faced tit losing today.

12/1 was too tempting and if he gets off to a bad start I should be able to lay it off for a profit.

Fido said:
I'm glad we don't have to go through it all again for a while. I've now got enough to worry about what with Wimbledon and Le Tour.

Worry? It's sport. Relax and be entertained.

Ian

Strange thing is, I'm really calm when participating. Most recently, I had many a five set table tennis battle and was always quite calm even at match point or deuce.
But watching an individual or team I really want to win is a different story. I get so nervous and edgy. But some things have to be endured!

pop_distrazione.jpg

Pig Cat said:
Now that's what I call a Spot The Ball competition! :icon_razz:

Pig Cat - this is one of those occasions when I'm finding it very difficult to '...smile because it happened'. I'm referring to England's performance - not the picture.

UKRob said:
Pig Cat said:
Now that's what I call a Spot The Ball competition! :icon_razz:

Pig Cat - this is one of those occasions when I'm finding it very difficult to '...smile because it happened'. I'm referring to England's performance - not the picture.

Try to think positively about the situation. Perhaps you could start supporting Italy?

So who do we now think is going to win the thing? It should be Germany or Spain but I wouldn't be surprised if it was Italy or Portugal.

Ladbrokes have it as:

Spain 2.6
Germany 2.62
Portugal 6.5
Italy 6.5

I'm saving my money.

Back
Top Bottom