Facial hair getting tougher ….

Is this a ‘heading into autumn’ thing or a ‘getting old’ thing?

I’ve noticed recently that my usual Permasharp and Nacets feel like they are meeting resistance through the razor (3one6)

Not a problem but even three pass is less smooth than in the past

Is this because I’m getting old or have blades got less sharp?

I looked into the EJ 3one6 but decided against it because reviews state the quality of shave to be not very good. However according to Sharpologist the Feather blade "is included for a reason" and gave a much better shave although a few weepers too. So I suggest trying a Feather Hi Stainless blade although I personally find the Nacet equally sharp and smoother. If that doesn't work for you then the only route is to a different razor. Perhaps try a Fatip open comb or go compleyely different with a Yaqi Excalibur and AC blade. Both razors are similarly priced at around £18 plus delivery so unlikely to beak the bank.

Is this a ‘heading into autumn’ thing or a ‘getting old’ thing?

I’ve noticed recently that my usual Permasharp and Nacets feel like they are meeting resistance through the razor (3one6)

Not a problem but even three pass is less smooth than in the past

Is this because I’m getting old or have blades got less sharp?
I did a quick Google because I was intrigued and at around 40 your hair peaks and doesn't change much after that.

That's interesting as I find it to be excellent with a wide selection of blades
Most likely a case of YMMV. But I don't rely on my own experience because I didn't get one. But I'm not really a fan of Edwin Jagger since in the early days when I bought a DE89 on recommendations for DE beginners on my return to DE and found the blade not aligned, in fact loose and moving around. Never bought an EJ since.

Note that I didn't comment on hair growing tougher because it's too subjective and among a host of variables it might even be related to race. However from my own experience when I started shaving at the age of 16 at Junior Leaders Batallion RAOC, Deepcut I was shaving soft hair commonly referred to as "bum fluff" but now at the age of 73 I shave whiskers.

Nope, not in the slightest
In that case, perhaps it might just need revising - whatever the reason is you perceive it more difficult for blades to cut through stubble.
It isn't necessarily age - it could also be a change in your habits that might have affected it.
Maybe it just needs to be exposed to water a bit longer, or maybe stripped of natural oils covering it before trying to get hair to absorb moisture.

Back
Top Bottom