First whisky mini-tasting

So this evening I opened a bottle of Chivas Regal along side my usual whisky of choice (a guilty pleasure) Canadian Club ( :oops: ) and also broke out the poshest stuff, a bottle of Laphroaig 18yr.

The Chivas first - it seemed harsher than I'd expected from a scotch commanding a £20+ price tag, but the flavour was undeniably bold - toasted nuts and a hint of vanilla were right at the front, with smoky tones following. I was expecting a more refined blend but this is more a hit of flavour and texture.

Followed by the Canadian - what can I say.... I love Canadian Club over ice - the maple syrup flavour and sweet smokiness make it easy to get seriously drunk on. But compared with the Chivas it tasted truly awful.

Lastly the Laphroaig - peat, peat and a smokey bacon slice tucked in the side. It's truly a legendary drink and even those who enjoy it must recognise how pungent the flavour and fragrance are. That said, the smoothness with which it invades the taste buds is like no other drink,

OK, so most of you could have guessed the outcome of the test with your eyes closed, but I had fun :lol:

Initially the Chivas was a bit surprising, but when compared to a real mass-market blend the outcome was clear - Chivas is not an 18yr old Laphroaig, but is a nice contender for the high-end blend throne. That said..... J&B has been a faithful companion for many years. Where did that bottle get to....

I used to love the Islay malts but had a very heavy night on it once and it put me off them :(

I've been a malt only man since I got very very drunk in a converted cow byre near Polbain (population 5) in Wester Ross... I had been drinking in the Summer Isles Hotel up to then but had noticed no locals - which is usually a bad sign. So I asked one of the trawlermen and he pointed me at this cow byre... the place was absolutely jumping with people, one dram lead to another and I went to bed dreading the hangover I was expecting.

It didn't happen so I was converted instantly to run on single malt :D

For the final 3 episodes of Foyle's War I wore my english ties and nursed a tumbler of Laphroaig each episode.Single malts are less plentifull in the US. I find a new one I'll buy it if possible.

That's a fair point - for my holidays in the US I normally consign myself to picking up a bottle of Beam or similar and just putting up with it for the duration. Although it is somewhat consoling that it costs 1/3 of the UK price!

Come to think of it, I'll be in the USA next month for a fortnight, if I'm only going to pick up one bottle of whisky/bourbon what should I get??

Maybe some Woodford Reserve, Knob Creek or Wild Turkey Rye? Rye is hard to get in the U.K. from what I've seen. My local off-licence stocks Makers Mark and Candian Club which keeps me happy. :)

Got the remains of a Canadian club sat right here actually! I did pick up a bottle of Beam Rye last time and found it a little sweet for my tastes. Knob creek is a good shout though.

<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bevmo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.bevmo.com</a><!-- w --> is a nationwide US liquor chain. They have decent prices and extensive online lists of what's available with brief discriptions.

I've been getting into Whisky a bit myself lately. If you like Laphroaig then have you tried some of the other Islay malts such as Lagavulin and Ardbeg? Ardbeg makes me swear everytime I drink it because I can't believe how damn tasty it is!

Back
Top Bottom