Gardeners Question Time

Anybody interested? I'm no hippy but I use "some" bio dynamic principles. I draw the line at burying horse shit in a cow horn but I do use a lunar calender.

Next two or three days I will be mostly planting leaf types like salad, spinach, chard and so on.

I've read a book that advocated using lunar cycles for gardening, but is it just bollocks*? I may be wrong but is there any real proof that this stuff actually works?

I'd be interested to know more as the PC household is gradually turning in to The Good Life. I've spent most of the weekend in the garden. The hens' new home is ready and waiting for their imminent arrival!!

* Please don't take this profanity as an invitation to leave TSR for good.

No I don't believe it's complete bollocks. If you want proof then get something fast growing like mustard cress, under the same conditions plant the same amount at the most and least appropriate time and see if there is an improvement in the condition and yield of your crop.

antdad said:
No I don't believe it's complete bollocks. If you want proof then get something fast growing like mustard cress, under the same conditions plant the same amount at the most and least appropriate time and see if there is an improvement in the condition and yield of your crop.

Fair enough I may try this. So when are the best and worst times to sow these seeds? Is it all about when they actually germinate or when the seeds are placed in the soil (or tissue paper)? And I found this:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.gardeningbythemoon.com/phases.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.gardeningbythemoon.com/phases.html</a><!-- m -->

Now I'm no astronomer but isn't the amount you see of the moon determined by how much it's in shadow from the Earth? It's still all there, even though we don't see it all. Oh, and as soon as I see stuff about The Zodiac I turn off. I am still open-minded enough to try this but I don't remember anything about this in A level Biology!! Just looking for a bit of science, that's all.

Pig Cat said:
Now I'm no astronomer but isn't the amount you see of the moon determined by how much it's in shadow from the Earth? It's still all there, even though we don't see it all.
You're not, are you?

It's not about how much of the moon is in the earth's shadow, that only happens during a lunar eclipse. It's how the moon is facing the sun, and which angle we're looking at it from. So, full moon, we're looking at the moon from a position between the sun and the moon. New moon, we're looking at the moon from a position where the moon is between the sun and us (which is why a total solar eclipse can only occur when the moon is new).

http://www.astrosociety.org/education/publications/tnl/12/images/phasessmall.gif

:oops:

OK, the lunar planting guide says that during a new moon the lunar gravity is pulling the plant's water up. I assume that this is because the Sun is giving the Moon a helping hand. And the opposite is true during a full moon.

Just off to peruse my Junior Book of Astronomy!

Hmm I doubt the physics behind that. The gravitational force between two objects is proportional to the mass of both objects (the distance between them also has an effect, but that's not important here).

So, the gravitational effect of the moon on the earth's ocean is considerable (hence tides), the gravitational effect of the moon on the amount of water in a plant I would have thought would be utterly insignificant.

You get the seeds, I'll tell you when to plant them.

or you can get the book I use.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gardening-Planting-Moon-2010-Vegetables/dp/0572035233" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gardening-Plant ... 0572035233</a><!-- m -->

The solar and stellar cycles are also considered but as the moon is closest it has the most profound affect.

You have to be sensible about your expectations, no point worrying about cycles if its freezing or you have planted seed in a bog.

cheese_dave said:
So, the gravitational effect of the moon on the earth's ocean is considerable (hence tides), the gravitational effect of the moon on the amount of water in a plant I would have thought would be utterly insignificant.

....they used to fell timber according to the lunar cycle because it was preferential for the timber to have less sap. Nowadays they just cannot wait but it has an affect.

How much water is there in a tree compared to a spinach leaf? Interesting though.

Sorry, Tony, I've hijacked your thread enough, back to the planting!

antdad said:
cheese_dave said:

....they used to fell timber according to the lunar cycle because it was preferential for the timber to have less sap. Nowadays they just cannot wait but it has an affect.

This is the sort of full moon that makes my sap rise!! Cheeky!!!

canstock0137137.jpg

;)

cheese_dave said:
How much water is there in a tree compared to a spinach leaf? Interesting though.

Sorry, Tony, I've hijacked your thread enough, back to the planting!

Sure, those forces are very small but improved hydration, exposure to sunlight or moonlight at the right time in the early life cycle of a plant can make a difference, not a huge difference but some measurable difference in potential growth, health and yield.
Plants and small animals are also much more attuned to natural electric and magnetic fields of the Earth which as you know that will also vary greatly with the lunar month.

PC's brain is an exception though, it has a negligible mass except for the visual cortex so he is only be affected by direct visual stimuli.

Back
Top Bottom