Gillette British Flare Tips & Rockets Collection Complete

Here are my British Flare Tips and Rockets, well the collection is almost complete. Only missing the British Gillette TV. All in great condition, apart from the Flare Tip.

This seems to be tarnished badly, Any advice on getting this razor gleaming again, would be much appreciated.

View attachment 20068 View attachment 20069 View attachment 20070 View attachment 20071
If I had to clean these razors I would get some Tesco Limescale Remover power foam spray. spray the razors and use an old toothbrush and give them a scrub all over, rinse off and dry, you'll be pleased with the result .... Andy

Here are my British Flare Tips and Rockets, well the collection is almost complete. Only missing the British Gillette TV. All in great condition, apart from the Flare Tip.

This seems to be tarnished badly, Any advice on getting this razor gleaming again, would be much appreciated.

View attachment 20068 View attachment 20069 View attachment 20070 View attachment 20071
Fantastic collection you have there, I asum you have tried to clean up the tarnished one without success, which would indicate plating loss, if that's the case, personally I would a, look for another, b, have it replated. Wishing good luck.

If I had to clean these razors I would get some Tesco Limescale Remover power foam spray. spray the razors and use an old toothbrush and give them a scrub all over, rinse off and dry, you'll be pleased with the result .... Andy

I've tried Cif Spray in a can, which foams up,and then scrubbed with an old toothbrush. Didn't really do anything.

Nice collection but where is your Rocket HD? A Aristocrat Jr could arguably be part of that collection to :)

Peek polish is good for getting a good shine on your razors, combined with a bit of elbow grease!

Nice collection but where is your Rocket HD? A Aristocrat Jr could arguably be part of that collection to :)

Peek polish is good for getting a good shine on your razors, combined with a bit of elbow grease!

I've got the set of Junior's and most of HD rockets (all aluminium, part aluminium, 72g,74g, Set 52A etc...).;)

Fantastic collection you have there, I asum you have tried to clean up the tarnished one without success, which would indicate plating loss, if that's the case, personally I would a, look for another, b, have it replated. Wishing good luck.
It's unusual to see a uniform "tarnish" over the whole razor, and it would suggest that the whole thing may have been immersed in something not very good for the plating. There is anecdotal evidence that some cleaning/disinfecting solutions can cause damage, especially if the razor is left in them for an extended period.
You've tried the Cif Spray, to no effect. I personally would grab some Peek metal polish, select a very small and unobtrusive area of tarnish, and see if it will polish up. If it doesn't, then I'd say the plating isn't tarnished, but has somehow been damaged. The remedy then would be a re-plate or a better grade replacement, as @Blademonkey suggests.

IMG_2978-Edit.jpg

From Back, Left to Right,

Anniversary Set No 52A (Aluminium), Rocket Set No.54A,
French Set No55 Monobloc
Rocket HD 500 (74g), Rocket HD (Aluminium Handle)
Rocket HD (71g), Parat

Back
Top Bottom