Gillette St.Petersburg DE Blade Production Moving?

'[P&G] said it is “significantly reducing’’ its Russian production to “basic health, hygiene and personal care items needed by the many Russian families.’’ '

The Russians came up with the Beard Tax, so if DE blades aren't included in things needed by the many Russian families I don't know what is. Although tbf the beard tax was quite a while ago, almost long enough for some on here to get through their stash.
It puts me in mind of a little 1942 verse by A. P. Herbert in "Punch", regarding the severe shortages and rationing of cosmetics and razor blades in Great Britain during the Second World War.

I see a day, before we win this war,
When razors-and cosmetics-are no more;
When whiskered bishops will unite in joy
The paintless maiden and the bearded boy.

The only thing I see that might happen is that proctor & gamble, vis-a-vis Gillette, will divest themselves of the St. Petersburg plant. Blades will continue to steam out the doors, but they may no longer carry the Gillette brand labelling. That's a worry for another day. Blades are one of the few things not restricted by the embargos this far, and huge amounts were ordered by dealers as soon as they saw that the invasion of Ukraine was going to last more than a few days.

Like multiple shipping container loads worth of blades. Maggard's, an American company, sold 6 1/2 pallet loads worth of Astra SP's just last year.

Edit: Gillette is not a majority owner of the St. Petersburg plant anyways, as far as I know, which makes their desires and needs rather moot.

KCG blades are now made in China,as are these platinums..

there is one u.s seller peddling 50 of the st.pete's platinum blades for $24 us..so almost $50 per 100 blades,figures..:cautious:

KCG blades are now made in China,as are these platinums..

there is one u.s seller peddling 50 of the st.pete's platinum blades for $24 us..so almost $50 per 100 blades,figures..:cautious:
Connaughts out of these, maybe be Chinese made time they come back? Ordered 500 Perma Sharps yesterday , ill post on aquititions so you can see if its still St Petersburg stock.

Probable over-reliance on one manufacturer and one country of manufacture and the failure to find suitable altermatives. Perhaps shavers should advance and look for targets instead of resting on their hind quarter.

All of my Gillette blades are made in Russia with the exception of 4 packs of Astra Platinum made in India which are just as useless to me as the Russian variety. But I note other countries which make good alternatives: Vietnam - Dorco Titan; Egypt - Silver Star, Bolzano Superinox; Greece - Bic Chrome Platinum; and from India Euromax single edge half blade.

In fact I use Vietnamese Dorco Titan in preference to Russian Gillette Platinum which are about equivalent but cheaper.

Any update on this or was it just a clever sales ploy?

The Russian Gillette factory is not closed and is still making blades, but the selection of blades you can buy now in 2024 (post Ukraine war) is much reduced.

Ok here is where it gets a bit confusing. They have 3 broad categories.

1) blades like Astra SP, SS, Gillette Platinum (both varieties) to name a few, they are brands that are made by Gillette for markets that include a number of ones but are mainly for Eastern Europe, and these markets have embargoes with Russia. Gillette has moved production of these brands elsewhere, China and India so far.

2) blades like Gillette Rubie, Sputnik, Minora Stainless, 7 Yellow/Green etc, these are made for Russia, and non embargo nations (eg Pakistan), these blades are still being made in Russia.

3) blades like Silver Blue, this has no intended market but suppliers can order a batch here and there. This one is a bit of a grey area so far, but I think these ones are still being made.

Ok for a blade dealer like Razor Blades Club (RBC), they would buy their blades from distributors around the world eg Gillette London Bridge blades which are made in China but are sold in Indonesia, RBC would buy them from a distributor there. Even though Gillette Rubie blades are still made in Russia but are only sold in Russia, due to trade embargoes with Russia, RBC cannot buy them from a Russian distributor. However, blades like Minora they are sold in South Africa, who have no embargo with Russia so it can be imported by European dealers with no issues.

The Silver Blue seems to be an exception, from what I gathered it can be ordered by distributors but it was never intended for one particular market like others, and consequently I'm not sure whether it will be discontinued or not. What gets confusing is there are a few brands still being made that looked like they had been discontinued. Someone on B&B posted up a picture of a Russian made 2024 batch of dark blue Gillette Platinums, that has been assumed to have been discontinued before that.

So in short, Russian Gillettes are still being made but there are less choice than before, but there are a few replacements but there are occasional surprises thrown up.

The new replacements have been out for a while and I think the general consensus is the new Indian made Astra SP is a little different to the old Russian one (IMO the most over rated blade of all time!), some think the new Indian is better, some think it is worse. The MIC Platinums are supposed to be very similar to the old Russian ones, but as ever YMMV. Try a few of the new ones if you can, it should be possible to get a few of the old Russian ones before they disappear, otherwise I presume for most they won't be too bothered by the replacements.

Back
Top Bottom