Gore-Tex worth it?

After suffering from leaky jackets over the last couple of winters - it's time to upgrade.

Never had a Gore-Tex jacket. Is it worth the expense in the UK to buy one? The jacket would be used for commuting, dog walking and general day/day use. I'm not a hiker etc.

I see on the high street Craghoppers & Mountain Warehouse, as examples, market their own waterproof & breathable alternatives. My brother swears by the Berghaus Cornice.

There seem to be a number of articles online both for and against Gore-Tex. Some feeling it is simply a marketing gimmick. I have no idea.

Thanks, Richard

Probably doesn't help but....

I wear laminated Gore-Tex on my motorbike.
It's a bit stiffer than normal waterproof gear but due the being laminated, the outer layer doesn't get soaked and the gear drys out quicker.

Definitely worth it. Both my work jacket and boots are Gore-Tex, I can be out in torrential rain and be bone dry apart from hands/face.

As for alternatives my experience is limited to Nike's own waterproof material they call "Storm-Fit ADV" which I have a couple of jackets in - Just as waterproof as Gore-Tex and lighter weight too, however they were actually more expensive than Gore-Tex equivalents so no surprise.

I never go out in torrential rain and I never go yomping over the hills… even though there are plenty of hills to go yomping over here. I used to, but no longer need the gore-tex experience.
I have gore-tex walking shoes… the gore-tex makes them stiffer and it took me ages to get used to them. When they wear out I’ll be getting something less heavy-duty.
I’d say it depends entirely what you’re intending to do with the boots and coat.
From your OP I’d say you don’t need it.

When I was looking to replace my Berghaus cornice last year, a few people on here recommended a company called keela, and I ended up getting a coat from them and it's excellent .
Keela supply the emergency services and mountain rescue with gear and my coat cost me considerably less than a new Berghaus coat. It's not as pretty, so to speak, but I only use it for being out and about in bad weather and going to the football. Worth checking out.

i got this jacket in the pacific blue, 3 in 1 10kmaterial, it's mates in other colours are reduced to £175, this one is £70. A crackin' deal.
I find TOG24 gear pretty good quality.

IMG_2944.gif

Get one of these bad boys you’ll be sound as a pound

Happy Eddie Murphy GIF by Laff

Last edited:
After suffering from leaky jackets over the last couple of winters - it's time to upgrade.

Never had a Gore-Tex jacket. Is it worth the expense in the UK to buy one? The jacket would be used for commuting, dog walking and general day/day use. I'm not a hiker etc.

I see on the high street Craghoppers & Mountain Warehouse, as examples, market their own waterproof & breathable alternatives. My brother swears by the Berghaus Cornice.

There seem to be a number of articles online both for and against Gore-Tex. Some feeling it is simply a marketing gimmick. I have no idea.

Thanks, Richard
I spend a lot of time outdoors do all sorts of things, having been let down by most brands over time the only one I would buy is Musto, it’s never ever let me down

I got one of these in moss colour.
Cheers Chris. Not a brand I know. I do like the look of this jacket. Off to check them out!

The trouble with Gore-Tex is that they sound like somebody opening a crisp packet when you are moving in it. Paramo is soft to the touch and they feel nicer to wear.

Alternatively what about a waxed jacket? I have a 26 year old Barbour Beaufort that I wear most days, it is waterproof, rustle free has plenty of pockets and looks better. I rewax it yearly and Barbour will repair any holes, tears etc. It cost me £50 brand new which works out less than £2 a year.

Back
Top Bottom