Gore-Tex worth it?

The last Gore-Tex coat I had was from Sprayway, but probably 40 or more years ago. It gave good service, but the proofing eventually gave out. I expect they may be better nowadays.

By the time I thought about re-proofing I was working in the fishing industry, and the de rigeur oilskins were then Cotten and Elka. Never got wet, but talk about sweatsuits in many colours.

The trouble with Gore-Tex is that they sound like somebody opening a crisp packet when you are moving in it. Paramo is soft to the touch and they feel nicer to wear.

Alternatively what about a waxed jacket? I have a 26 year old Barbour Beaufort that I wear most days, it is waterproof, rustle free has plenty of pockets and looks better. I rewax it yearly and Barbour will repair any holes, tears etc. It cost me £50 brand new which works out less than £2 a year.
Barbours are first rate if you look after them. My mother bought me one long before they were easy to find or fashionable. I don't like them so the Barbour pin badge gets the heave-ho.

I wear them to destruction, and they end up with frayed cuffs and cracks along creases. I haven't seen him around awhile, but in this part of Suffolk, well-worn Barbours were prized by the London folk and we had a chap who'd buy your wrecked old one at a decent price.

went down a rabbit hole with this one. turns out all i need is plastic bags on feet and big bin bag with holes for head and arms. sorted for £2. :cool:
Likewise, I watched the video & then the Youtube algorithms pushed a few more vids from the anti Gore-tex police. Particularly liked the suggestion of using an umbrella as an alternative :D

Have used Gortex for many years first a Bergaus jacket I had for many years, currently have two Gortex jackets from Norrona my view is that they provide great protection from rain but if you are exerting yourself you will get sweaty. The Paramo Altra jacket I have dates from 1995 and is still going strong with the aid of reproofing but I only use this in sub 10 degrees weather as it is too hot for me. I also have a Survival Aids smock from 1990 in Ventile that is breathable and can stand a hour or two of rain. Had Barbour jackets since the ‘80’s these withstand heavy rain but being non breathable you will get sweaty also. My conclusion is that nothing on the market is perfect for different weather conditions and temperatures.

An interesting watch explaining how waterproofing works and its downsides.

This has been my experience...I've had Berghaus and Keela jackets mostly. I liked the jackets but they were never breathable when backpacking in heavy rain and wetted-out over time. Traditional ventile jackets (cotton) supposedly work much better but are costly and weighty. My most weatherproof and breathable jacket for being out and about, not backpacking, is a £20 long Mac (really a plastic bag with zips) with loads of vents...it keeps me dry and it's breathable because it's vented...but you won't win any style awards...the exact opposite :)

Image.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom