Greetings everyone

Hello everyone – I’d like to introduce myself to fellow members and share my experience of coming to DE shaving after over 20 years of using cartridges. I’m nearly 5 months into the experience and it’s been an absorbing and surprising journey so far so I thought I’d share some of it here:

I started shaving with a Braun electric given to me by my father. After a few years of irritating shaves, I began wet-shaving with disposables. By that time it was about 1990, so DE razors were well out of fashion, and my only awareness of DE blades was through the iconic Judas Priest album cover ‘British Steel’, and maybe the occasional scene in a movie.

I progressed to using the Sensor, and combined with canned foam it provided perfectly adequate shaves. I had little knowledge of proper prep or technique, but it did the job with no hassle and remained my shaving tool for the next 20 years. I was never interested in the Mach 3 and just felt instinctively that adding more blades was purely marketing hype. More recently, resenting the cost of Sensor cartridges, I reverted to disposables until I eventually couldn’t stand using the flimsy cheap pieces of plastic.

I chanced upon an article on the Art of Manliness site about DE shaving and was intrigued. It appealed to my aesthetic as well as a desire to distance myself from over-priced proprietary cartridge systems. So I kitted myself out with a Merkur HD 34c, badger brush and Erasmic cream. Using the wealth of advice from sites like this, as well as Mantic’s videos, I began my journey into DE shaving and it has been a revelation! I have been surprised as to how engrossing and rewarding it can be to learn proper technique and achieve a great shave using a quality tool.

Like so many others, I succumbed very quickly to RAD, but have now reined it in a bit and have limited myself (for now!) to rotating 3 main razors (Red tip Super Speed, Slim Adjustable and Merkur Slant), and concentrating on improving my technique and learning how to get the best out of each razor.

Incidentally, I have found it fascinating to learn about the history of razors (straights as well as safety razors), and have gained a real appreciation for fine vintage kit from the golden era of razor manufacturing. I love the idea of using a razor that is older than I am and has history attached to it. I also have a passion for vintage guitars, and own a couple of lovely Stratocasters. Needless to say, collecting vintage razors is much easier on the wallet!

Anyway, this introduction went on a bit longer than I had intended so I’ll leave it there for now. I’ve really enjoyed reading all your posts on the Shaving Room and look forward to contributing.

Cheers!

Jos

Hi Jos, great introduction and a nice little stable you have there. Anyone who shaves with a slant is alright by me. I collect the odd guitar or two myself but I reign in my urges by sticking to the Epiphone sort of price range. ;)

Welcome to TSR.

Back
Top Bottom